R-V8 Into A Exmo Project

richardm6994

Well it's been a frustrating weekend on the v8 project. Definitely 1 step forward & 2 steps backwards.

I'll written up my mistakes so any poor sole who decides to have a go at this can learn from my mistakes...

Problem 1) Those who are familiar with the v8, the design of the sump overlaps the front timing cover. My plan was to fit the sump (loosely) and then the timing cover.....well it doesn't work and you end up wrecking the sump gasket. Timing cover must be fitted first followed by the sump....the good news is that my sump comes off easy enough with the engine in situ.....the bad news is that my timing cover was torqued up when I noticed and so I've *bleep* the timing cover gasket, water pump gasket as well as the sump gasket.

New ones ordered and should arrive in the next few days.

Problem 2) earlier on in this post you will have seen me modifying a 3.5ltr crank pulley (vee belt) to suit a single pulley and trigger wheel. Well when I came to fit this it didn't push onto the crank far enough!!!!

Now the timing cover was properly fitted with oil pump I discovered that the nose on the older 3.5ltr crank pulley is too long and the crank driven oil pump is in the way (I mocked it up first time around without the oil pump fitted).

I have now modified the original 3.9ltr pulley and jobs a good'n.

image_zps06c0ca78.jpg

Whats's that I can see approaching in the distance.........nah it can't be...can it?!?.....the finish line???

I think the sun has got to me lol....I've got to get it started first......which I'm planning on the weekend after Newark if anyone wants to come around and join hands in that momentous occasion...

image_zps8c6d6afe.jpg

image_zpscb2e0079.jpg

Just waiting for spark plug leads to arrive along with some braided hose....

Then I've got to make my throttle bracket and sort out some electrical gremlins....

3 inch filter will be going on after hollowell so I'm going to make due with the 2 inch that came with the low-ride air filter assembly...

image_zpsb7bb9920.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't make it to Newark today. After thinking it through, I decided I needed to get the engine finished because come what may....it's going to hollowell.

edit (12/07/13) - and after a lot of blood sweat and tears.....I drove it to Hollowell, had a great show weekend and then drove it home without any issues!!!

My starter motor issue from the other thread turn out to be a seized up solenoid. Got that sort along with a few electrical gremlins...but anyway....photo of the (almost) finished job...

image_zpsbe6219f4.jpg