R-V8 Into A Exmo Project

richardm6994

Just a little update to say that the engine bay is done....well at least as done as it needs to be to put the engine back in.

The wiring was finished yesterday so all the engine connections are in the correct places and the brake lines I started and finished today. I only flared the ends of the pipe and forgot to put the union on twice so not as bad as when I first did the car!!

Thanks to DanE who has lent me his superb brake line flaring kit, 3/16 pipe and fittings!

image_zps89756c68.jpg

Now it's time to move onto the engine and complete a few job before plonking it back into the car...

Fabricate bottom alternator bracket

Set and pin trigger wheel

Bottom cover plate for the bell house

Clean up gearbox and renew seals and gaskets

Hoses for slave clutch cylinder and remote bleed

• 4 weeks later...

I owe a big thanks to ..

Mr Chairman (markb)

Mr Secretary (danE)

And the mere mortals

Nick (shaft)

Keith (alfagta)

& the rob's (CMA & robeross)

.....for helping me get the engine back in the car today and all connected up properly ready for starting.

I didn't get any photos of the day, but this is the finished job...

image_zps3757e33a.jpg

• Like 1

Something I was a little worried about was the clutch disengaging properly. All dimensions of the bits i've machined needed to be spot on to set the clutch slave cylinder far enough away from the gearbox to disengage the clutch but not too far off the gearbox face to bind on the clutch.....

Well anyway today I finally got the pedalbox assembly complete (minus the cover) and with swmbo's help we bled the clutch and then i crawled under the car to turn the prop by hand (not connected to diff) whilst in gear. I'm dead chuffed that everything worked as it should!!

Photo of the pedal box. The remote bleed was essential as there was no way of getting to the clutch cylinder.

image_zps574a2257.jpg

I've got a few other bits and bobs done, but I've come to a stop again until more bits arrive.

It's going to be touch-and-go if it makes it to Newark because there have been a few unexpected expenses this month and a puppy that wants all my attention!!

cheers guys! I was dead chuffed that the clutch worked okay because the rover-engine to ford-gearbox was breaking new ground for me!!!! and credit to jetskijase for giving me the design to begin with!!

I'm happy how it's all coming on and I've got a picture in my head of what it will look like when finished and I can't wait to make it reality!

With the warm weather (fingers crossed) and Newark looming, the biggest challenge for me now is stopping myself from rushing or bodging anything just to get it back on the road!