R-V8 Into A Exmo Project

richardm6994

so in a nut shell, apart from a bit of tinkering the main problems have been due to the driving conditions...i.e. wet / dark / cold.

I would say just wait until the summer when it is dry / light / hot. That's when car's like ours come into their own!

And rainy muddy days :)

Yes indeed, thanks. A play in the snow yesterday and 3 fault free trips today. No petrol smell, nothing in the boot, and the fuel pump hasn't cut out at all.

Fuel economy has increased significantly now I'm not splashing it all over the road!

Back on to keeping it now!

Before I can locate the alternator & bracket, I needed to sort out the bottom crank pulley. This is the serpentine engine however I only intend to drive the alternator from the crank pulley as there is no need for the power steering and mechanical pump pulleys.

As such, I decided to use the pre-serpentine crank pulley as it is designed for a vee belt instead of the flat belt found on the serpentines. By doing this, I've got a larger selection of belt sizes to choose from when locating my alternator.

edit (12/07/13) - you will see later on in this thread that you have to combine the pulley mount (the but that fits onto the crank) from the sepentine engine with the vee belt from the older engines.

This is because the sepentine pulley mount has a shorter nose due to the crank driven oil pump. The older vee belt engines had dizzy driven oil pumps and so the nose on thier pulley mounts in much longer.

DSCN0292.jpg

First job was to seperate the pulleys and only 1 pully is needed. This was a swine of a job as the had seized together and so I had to use a hacksaw to cut them off. Once the had been cut off I could get a screw driver in to prize the rest of the pulleys out.

DSCN0293.jpgDSCN0294.jpg

Next is the trigger wheel for the megajolt. I had to do a bit of machining to the main pulley carrier so that I could fit the trigger wheel, 2 spacers and vee pulley.

DSCN0295.jpgDSCN0296.jpgDSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0298.jpgDSCN0299.jpgDSCN0300.jpg

Cheers guys...those exhaust manifolds are inspiring me to pull my finger out and get it done!!

I could lie and say I worked out pulley ratios, engine rpm & alternator rpm........but I just went with what worked for Dan and a few others I've seen on v8 forum!

• Like 1

I've got the alternator bracket mocked-up and the alternator positioned where want it. I didn't want it on top of the engine because I'd like to keep as much below deck as possible.

Before I go any further, I need to make sure I can get a vee belt the right size and once that arrives I'll be able to finish the bracket.

Can anyone give me any tips or adivce regarding the best way to line up the pulleys

Here is where I'm up to.......

DSCN0301.jpgDSCN0302.jpgDSCN0303.jpg