Zero Engine Mount Issue

keith kelly

Hi,

changing out the 1600 pinto to a 2L and replacing the engine mount as the previous ones were Crap. So i was kindly given the GBS top mounts and have purchased the bottom mounts.

However when we have come to fit the engine the mount on the left (looking fron the front) is too far over and fouls the chassis! as these are gbs mounts i would have thought they would fit nicely onto the plates ont he chassis.

I have attached some photo's which may explain it better. I have spoken to rich at GBS but could not explain it.

This is the only thing left to do then the car will be ready for firing up.

Any advise appriciated.

regards

keith

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/unclechief/enginemount2.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/unclechief/enginemount1.jpg

enginemount2.jpg

enginemount1.jpg

Difficult to see exactly why. Are you sure those mounts are for a monocoque like yours. Even the monocoques vary in width. I'm surprised GBS make a mount for your car.

From your pics it looks like the engine is mounted to far forward in the car which makes the issue worse. Means moving the gearbox back and a shorter prop. Also some of the mount flanges could be cut back to fit if the engine can't go back. You could of course remake the mount.

Nigel

I beleive we looked at that last night and didnt seem to make any difference. also the engine needs to move over abit at the front to make it centre which makes it worse.

worth considering though thanks.

has anyone fitted a zero with a pinto using the GBS engine mounts??

no its the one that was fitted on the zero when i brouhgt it, kept all the running gear as is only used the engine from the 2B. from looking at others the mount are in the right place (centre of the plate) begining to think the mounts are not made right as logically i can not see how they fit.

i have a four speed box so if anything the engine should actually be a bit further back than normal according to rich (GBS).

Ah! Sorry to wrongly identify your chassis. Pinto into zero. So the engine is not too far forwards and it still needs to move more to the driverside. Either the mounts are handed and you have them the wrong way round or they are wrong. If you need to move the engine more to the driverside then the mount currently on the passengerside is looking a little short too. Long time since I played with a pinto.

Nigel

Guest Lowlife

What gear box have you got?? Type 9 and you will need to trim the back edge of the starter motor housing to allow it far enough back down the tunnel.

Have Zetec in mine so just summizing really

Guest zoomzoom

Hi, I put a pinto in my zero using GBS mounts just like yours.

Mine did just what yours is doing when I put the engine in the first time .

My solution was ..... Using the engine crane I raised the engine about 20mm so the crane has the full weight, then positioned the engine where I wanted it and lowered it until it was only just touching the base then marked and drilled the base plate holes. ( with a pinto they are quite close to the outer edges) then bolt the base plates down.

Then i dropped the crane down so the engine dropped in but as the lower mounts where fixed the engine just squashed itself in instead of splaying out the mounts.

HTH

Marcus