Club Benfits / Keyboard Warriors

Guest Lowlife

Guest Lowlife

I think that might be your interpretation of what the committee think. The local areas do whatever the local members want to do.

Not all of us just drive to the pub and sit talking cars. Some of us also organise runs out and trackdays, beer sessions and various other things.

If runs out and trackdays are your main interest then why not have a go at organising a few and invite others though the forum.

I don't know what area you are in as it's not listed in your profile. But if you're near the South Yorks mob there's often a run out on a sunny weekend, other runs out like a fish and chip run to Filey and a chippy run to Matlock (there might be a theme building there.....) and I organised 3 track days last year, there were several home help days fixing other members cars, most advertised on here up front.

This was the kind of response I was hoping for!!!!!

Constructive and inviting. But if that's my interpretation surely it makes sense that it's others too?? So how can the committee change peoples perceptions and thus increase involvment??

as already said in this post its not down to the committee if you have an idea you post it up at see what interested parties you get.

i organised a trackday last year which took me 4yrs to convice enough people to have a go .

every has there own ideas why they join a club i for one like to meet like minded petrol heads and try and go to a few shows.

im more than happy to be in a club to see peoples ideas and read a few mags..

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Tony B,

Only last night I inquired who was Skcc as I have seen 2 posts recently and was not aware who was writing as Skcc. I looked at the post for early May and thought it clashed with Stonleigh. I may not have read all the post.

Again I looked at the April event and thought I am not camping that early in the year and I gave up rally driving so I probably stopped when I saw Rallye Artois Lys.

I say this to highlight the simple fact that others may have done the same and it could be a contributory factor to a lack of response.

You have to get the interest in the first couple of lines or you will loose you customer!

Whats the state of the clubs P&L?, is it exposed anywhere, can I have funds to plan activities to provide benefits (like B&B on the UK road trip, like the chunnel fare for the Rallye, like the trailor for the Alps), which in turn may/maynot encourage members?, I am curious how the 'pot' is divied up into activities once all the basic forum bills are paid.

Lets keep it contructive ........

I don't know if you attended last years AGM, I believe your event finished at Stonleigh?

Well the accounts and financial position were revealed there and then. We are financially OK but there is no slack money, we could do with attracting more members for the £15 and that is why so much has been written here and some say, "same old".

The big cost is the Club Magazine, not that we pay a penny more than needed as we have a "printer" who ensures the price is the lowest (he does not print the magazine). Postage is the other high cost, membership cards and the Club Magazine.

So in short there is no money for the kind of items you highlight. Again you say take up by members is low so how much of the £15 membership could be donated from those attending? My sums says it's not worth while, (I do make the assumption that club events should only attract funding proportionate to the number of members attending). So it seems there is an unwritten ethos to pay for what you use, which seems entirely reasonable to me.

Now there is nothing stopping you getting sponsorship, might Network Rail & the Chunnel discount or sponsor the event travel?

I am sure the Treasurer can provide the facts and figures presented at the last AGM and give the current bank balance but do remember this is an open forum.

I do hope I have helped both with your advertisement of events and funding of the same.

Tony, we are interested in the early round Britian run but will probably not be able to afford it ( poor pension income of last few years) & it runs smack into Stoneleigh which as a commitee member I need/should attend. Post some more details as to costs & what is cast in stone at the present.

If you make it inviting enough there may be 2 OAP's trundling along at the back!!

When I joined quite a number of years ago, I was keen to organise Sunday runs out most dry weekends.

The first being quite memorable - puncture with no spare wheel, and getting just s little drenched, aeroscreens and 50 miles of torrential rain.

I soon learned the benefits of the club as one member leant me a spare wheel to get home, and the same member then sold me his windscreen after I was blamed for writing his car off following me, or trying to keep up with me on icy roads in the middle of January.

I'm just not sure where you be able to find a bunch of more generous people than members of this club.

Where else would you find someone to drive you a 600 mile round trip in a day to pick up an engine and gearbox????

At the drop of a hat I could ask for help, either muscle to do a job, or ask a question about something I have no knowledge of. Within hours if not minutes, I'd either have the offer to have someone eats me out of house and home (bacon butties and hob nobs at any rate) or I'd have answers to my questions.

All this and so much more...............£15.............

BTW, cheque should be in the post soon for this years subs :rofl:

My tuppeny's worth - I have already saved the cost of membership and more thanks to the kind, and crucially knowledgable, advice offered on this site. I can't see that there is any reasonable argument against such a small annual fee. I hope that in a few years I'll perhaps have worked out a thing or two about what's what and will be able to help others in the same way.

I suspect it boils down to personal preference. Some people leave tips, some don't. Some people pay to go in the Science Museum, some don't.

• Like 1

Heh lowlife you seem to spending a lot of time on here so it must have some benefits. may as well get the most for your money oops sorry its free for you

Guest Lowlife

Heh lowlife you seem to spending a lot of time on here so it must have some benefits. may as well get the most for your money oops sorry its free for you

Well pointed out, thats because this is an open forum!!! If the club wishes to close it to non members then possibly the numbers would increase??

My point as demonstrated by some other more constructive contributors has been around the activities of the club and it's members therein. I am merely challenging the club to evolve and expand its horizons

well I've just taken the vacant area sec position for Scotland because i want to see change on here. up here we don't have quite the same support network of a vast amount of members for the physical help whereby members just drop in to help when needed excluding the three other members who live in the same town as me.

but we are slowly making the numbers grow encouraging them to join we may eventually get round to having a meeting in the near future but most off all for we enjoy going out at the weekends for a drive.We also look forward to our annual pilgrimage to the holy land of Newark we eat way more than £15 worth of Hog Roast and take your women.

whiz

Guest Lowlife

well I've just taken the vacant area sec position for Scotland because i want to see change on here. up here we don't have quite the same support network of a vast amount of members for the physical help whereby members just drop in to help when needed excluding the three other members who live in the same town as me.

but we are slowly making the numbers grow encouraging them to join we may eventually get round to having a meeting in the near future but most off all for we enjoy going out at the weekends for a drive.We also look forward to our annual pilgrimage to the holy land of Newark we eat way more than £15 worth of Hog Roast and take your women.

whiz

You're welcome to my Woman!!!!!!!

lowlife, where are you on this island of ours, (not that we dont open arms to peeps from other places too,)

the northwest lot will be meeting sunday morning to kick tyres for a bit before laying down some rubber and going for a spin,

addy for meet is Phantom Winger fulwood preston just off M55 j1, may even go simons first and claim a bacon butty and a hob nob, ( he made Mrs tony make us some last week , and they were very nice too thanks Tony and hopefully we can join the round britain tour for the day when you pass the north west , )or make you a brew and butty will forward simons addy lol

as for funds for events and trips, this has been offered in past but few take up, (there loss) i know we have had a few quid for stuff over the years,

Mitch

Guest Lowlife

lowlife, where are you on this island of ours, (not that we dont open arms to peeps from other places too,)

the northwest lot will be meeting sunday morning to kick tyres for a bit before laying down some rubber and going for a spin,

addy for meet is Phantom Winger fulwood preston just off M55 j1, may even go simons first and claim a bacon butty and a hob nob, ( he made Mrs tony make us some last week , and they were very nice too thanks Tony and hopefully we can join the round britain tour for the day when you pass the north west , )or make you a brew and butty will forward simons addy lol

as for funds for events and trips, this has been offered in past but few take up, (there loss) i know we have had a few quid for stuff over the years,

Mitch

Would love to join you, a tad far north for me sadly and my car is in pieces having a little TLC, back on the road in March!!

I'm in the East Midlands over on the Lincs border.