Fuel Prices

philshelton

Goods displayed in a shop window or on a shelf.

• When a book is placed in a shop window priced at £7.99, the bookshop owner has made an invitation to treat.
  • When I pick up that book and take it to the till, I make the offer to buy the book for £7.99.
  • When the person at the till takes my money, the shop accepts my offer, and a contract comes into being.

difference is that by putting the fuel in your car you have changed the integrity of the fuel and it is impossible to take it back and put it in the fuel pump. Picking up a book does not affect its value or state so it can be simply be placed back on the shelf. If we stick in the highstreet example, asking the petrol station to take back the fuel is similar to walking into a butchers and picking up some meat with your bare hands, haggling over the price and saying well i don't want it so you can have it back. Yes he has the meat back but the Butcher cannot put it back on the shelf as you have potentially contaminated the meat (assuming its not already full of Bute ;) ).

Also our fuel prices don't seem particularly different to a lot of countries according to this http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

Oil is a finite resource prices will only ever go up as we don't have a spare million years to make some more. The key will be increasing the amount of energy we get from what we have. Fuel prices may have doubled in the past 10 years but so has MPG i can now buy a car that does 80mpg instead of the 40mpg i would have got 10 years ago.

just a few thoughts to add to the mix

to play devils advocate. When you crash your car you get taken to a hospital and put back together free of charge. In America where fuel is cheaper they don't have an NHS so when you crash they charge you. From what i understand we pay something like 12% of income to pay for the NHS whereas private medical in the USA costs more like 15%. The price of more expensive fuel perhaps?

As said you cannot win. everything has to add up so if you take from one area you have to add it to another. So you can add it to drink and cigarettes (which is fine by me as i don't drink or smoke) and you'll have a similar uproar.

From my point of view the problem comes when the money paid does not stay in the country. If you pay a lot of tax on fuel and it goes to pay for things in this country that is less of a problem than all of the companies that pay tax offshore (starbucks etc) and take the money out of our country.

The other problem i see is the increase in insurance claims. When i was young if i walked down a street and fell over a curb that was sticking up a bit i'll feel like an idiot for not looking where i was going. Nowadays you'd call injury lawyers for you and sue the council. therefore there is a shortfall in the council that needs to be paid for...... tax on fuel etc goes up.

vastly oversimplified but i don't see how it will ever change.

after the fuel protests over 10 years ago all we have seen is prices go up and up, at that time we were paying around 79p/litre at this time the avarage world price for fuel was 54.6p per litre 44% less than uk prices. so knowing we are paying 44% more is it now time to protest by paying the price we think is fair. This would mean paying cash and not card. At to days prices we should be paying around 85p per litre, so as a protest we should put in 23.5 litres and pay £20 in cash say that is the market value for that commodity and that we dont wish to continue in the £2m per hour the oil companys are making. After all we are in the position to hagle the price as they have no way in putting it back in to there tanks from ours.

Phil,

fe 'kin brilliant idea. Only 1 way forward with this Phil,

Have the balls to do it, and let us know what happends. If it works, I'll be the second to do it

or you could try splitting water into its 3 parts (H2O) 2 PARTS HYDROGEN 1 PART OXEGEN AND RUN YOUR CAR ON THE HYDROGEN GAS

I always wondered if I could put an electolysis cell and pipe the gases back into the engine. Hmm, might affect the air / fuel ratio though ...

Of course you could always put a catch pipe under your seat and run off fart gas ... Talk about TURBO -- Whoa .... !

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone enjoy the BBC series "Grumpy Old Men"? :-P ;-)

I agree, its ridiculous, and bloody annoying what the powers that be decide to spend their fuel tax on. In 3 years time I bet we'll be paying >50% more, so I plan on using as much of the good stuff now whilst its cheaper.

Also, seriously, we're doing ok if we can moan about fuel prices for our 2nd cars surely?

Here endeth my cup half full...