Windscreen Without Wipers

ozz

Ignoring IVA (done that) and MOT (2 1/2 years away) are there any problems fitting a windscreen and not fitting wipers and washers?

I am 6'4'' and will be looking over the top of the screen, (so weather gear is not and never will be an option ).

Ozz

Guest donaldthomps

Ignoring IVA (done that) and MOT (2 1/2 years away) are there any problems fitting a windscreen and not fitting wipers and washers?

I am 6'4'' and will be looking over the top of the screen, (so weather gear is not and never will be an option ).

Ozz

No problems at all, aside from the fact your going to get wet!

is it not illegal? i.e. if you have an accident and write off your car in the rain would you not be responsible? and therefore insurance won't pay out.

don't know for sure but i it would seem like a necessity to me. can anyone confirm?

C&U Regs :-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/II/chapter/E/made

Section 34

34.—(1) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), every vehicle fitted with a windscreen shall, unless the driver can obtain an adequate view to the front of the vehicle without looking through the windscreen, be fitted with one or more efficient automatic windscreen wipers capable of clearing the windscreen so that the driver has an adequate view of the road in front of both sides of the vehicle and to the front of the vehicle.

Key bit, I suspect, is whether you deem your view of the front of the car as adequate while looking over the top of it. Or, more importantly, if a police officer or court of law would agree with you ;)

Guest Lowlife

I have a GRP aeroscreen fitted, less buffeting than the wind hitting the screen and battering you. I wear a helmet and find it really comfortable, wouldn't fit a screen but would take the aeroscreen option all day long

I ran without wipers....

Naughty naughty boy

For just over a year and a half mainly so I could fit the doors then the roof.

Was all ok until it rained when I just had to pull over

I've fitted wipers now and they are marginally better than none at all

Edited by Snapperpaul

C&U Regs :-

http://www.legislati.../chapter/E/made

Section 34

Key bit, I suspect, is whether you deem your view of the front of the car as adequate while looking over the top of it. Or, more importantly, if a police officer or court of law would agree with you ;)

Police officers rarely agree with me but Courts often do. 8)

I have a GRP aeroscreen fitted, less buffeting than the wind hitting the screen and battering you. I wear a helmet and find it really comfortable, wouldn't fit a screen but would take the aeroscreen option all day long

I've got one too I'm going to try to make them swappable and use both depending on my mood which is why I don't want wipers in the way.

If anything won't you fail the MOT for not being able to clear the windscreen?

Don't need MOT for a while and it would go with aero screen when it does.

Biggest problem might be the accident scenario and the insurance company trying to void/avoid the insurance I'd not thought about that mmm....

Thanks guys

Ozz

Do the job properly ---- you're playing on the same roads as everyone else so equip your car to comply with construction & use regs; wipers,washers & heater.

OR stay without & get wet/not use the car.

Ozz,

I haven't fitted any wipers to my Sr2 yet. So basically in the same boat as you. :db:

Just use rainex, as this is just as good as wipers IMHO. The wipers is on my list of things (but nearer the bottom of the list).

How else do you think I keep my car so clean........................................avoid the rain :rofl:

I did another trial fit yesterday with an mdf dummy screen and when sat in normal driving position with harness on I can see both wing repeaters so visibility would pass cu regs in my professional opinion but only for me driving.

I think the answer might be to render the car undriveable by anyone under 6 foot by removing my seat runners! :)

Do the job properly ---- you're playing on the same roads as everyone else so equip your car to comply with construction & use regs; wipers,washers & heater.

OR stay without & get wet/not use the car.

I agree Bob

I'm watching a few mini items on eBay

Ozz

I am 6'3" and had to raise the windscreen on my Series 3 so that I could see through it rather than over it. I extended the pillars and made a panel to cover the gap between the bottom of the screen and the scuttle. As for wet weather gear, I made doors from polycarbonate sheet and a hood from ripstop nylon. No need to get wet at all!

post-347-0-19819000-1368870711_thumb.jpg

• Like 1