Welding - How Difficult?

Wifey broke the log-splitter at the weekend, so it has finally given me the excuse to buy a welder, rather than relying on the kindness of others.

So how hard is it to use a basic arc-welder?

Am ok with soldering/brazing (obviously a different process) - so is welding a big leap forward or one small step?

Your opinions.

Ta,

-Steve

Guest MarkB

They way to get professional results is to make sure the setup is good, make sure all surfaces are clean, get the pieces clamped perfectly, then..... get my fabricator mate to do it coz im crap.

I think the warning about NOT welding galvanized (Zinc coated) steel has not been highlighted enough.

Short answer is - DON'T - unless you have a way to extract the fumes away from yourself.

Galv Flu is not nice. :)

(Mind - it is exposure to prolonged zinc fumes that is the problem)

Simon.

I was lucky enough to be taught by my dad when I was young. He started me with stick welding on the basis that it was difficult to learn, but once I'd master stick then mig and tig are a easy to learn.

After about a week of practice, I had stopped sticking my rods to the work peice or blowing big holes in the metal and I was finally getting a good flow of weld. The main learning curve however is being consistantly good. Somedays the slag from my welds would just fall away leaving a lovely weld underneith and other days the slag was mixed in with the pourous weld and the joing would fall to bits.

As mark mention above, good prep on the work peice is required, as is dry welding rods (keep them in a airing cupboard) and correct amp setting on the welder. If you do buy a stick welder, buy one with an inverter as it is like welding with silk compared to a welder without one!

Also, do not underestimate the value of the face shield & mask.....and also cover up bare skin!! I've got sun burn from welding more times than I care to remember.

In a nutshell....if you want to learn to weld properly, my advice is to begin with stick and go from their, however if you just want to be able to weld to do odd jobs..buy a 150amp mig welder and you'll be welding in a few days.

PS. don't be convinced that mig is for thin stuff only.....I've just been doing some deep butt welds with a 160amp mig

Practice on bits of scrap

IMHO the welding mask is very important, a good auto shade mask with a wide range makes it sooo much easier

I tried arc, mig/mag, brazing and gas

Gas was the hardest but looked the best

"PS. don't be convinced that mig is for thin stuff only.....I've just been doing some deep butt welds with a 160amp mig"

good point, you certainly can. I was thinking along the lines of a general hobby type mig with a bit less power on tap.

I generally use my mig for everything anyway to be honest, handles most stuff up to 5/6mm so would agree with mowerman for sure.

Also have a look at youtube videos if you haven't got someone to show you how to do it properly as you can hear the sounds and see how to get a good weld. There are some subtlties with welding that are good to learn even the angle you hold the torch affects the type and depth of weld you get. I am certainly not a fantastic welder but can get a reasonable weld with a mig most times.

most of all its fun melting metal with electric :)

Guest peter2b2002

got both mig and stick, i was tought to weld on my apprenticeship back in the early 70's did gas, electric and plastic welding and useing a gas axe, great fun, once tought never forgotten , takes a bit of practice to get my eye back in then away you go

peter2b