Carb? Help!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

I've just rebuilt my 2 litre pinto because it was smoky and tired. I have a problem with a stutter when reving from idle and idle is lumpy. It's like a flat spot and a bit of a stutter, then it revs ok! I had this before the rebuild so I put a carb kit in it, it a 32/36 DGAV Weber. The tappets are set correct and there don't appear to be any air leaks. And another thing!!! It seems to run better with the mixture screw all the way in!!!!

I'm at the end of my tether!! As I think I've mentioned before I'm new to this, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Darren.

Remove the jets, check what you have and check they are clean. If not clean soak in carb cleaner.

What were they installed on before?

I can send you some instructions on dismantling and setting up a dellorto if you need them, have just had to some to mine and have a good PDF file I can share.

Edit - Just realised this isn't about dellortos, must have got two threads confused...

• 3 months later...

I'm having trouble with my 1981 cortina engine 2.0l dohc it has twin 40's on it, cylinders 1, 2 and 4 are wet after running the car, but number three is constantly dry. Can any of you guys please advise. I'm new too this and i'm hoping that the engine isnt goosed. I'M ALSO LOOKING TO GET THE CARBS SET UP CORRECTLY, IS THERE A MANUAL TO HELP ME WITH THIS AND WHERE COULD I GET SAID MANUAL.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS.

IM AT MY WITS-END LOL

Guest chrispine

32/36, different size chokes and different size jets, had similar to this when I bought mine, the air correction jets were in the wrong chokes, the larger jets go in the larger choke, made a world of difference when put right, just something to check, also check the float is free to move and set correctly, (youtube).

Chris

Robby,

Regarding a manual, the one I used when I had to dismantle my weber 45s is How to build and power tune weber and dellorto dcoe,dco/sp and dhla carburettors by Des Hamill. It has loads of good photos and diagrams together with descriptions of how to dismantle and reassemble all these carbs. I think it was about 20 quid but you could probably get a second hand version from amazon for less. There is also information on suggested jet sizes and quite a lot about the actual setting up but once you get them running roughly you will need to get the car to a rolling road.

Kevin

Guest Ian Maycock

Thanks guys. I'll have another go tomorrow. Had to walk away, sulking!!

Darren Check that the auto choke is closing properly. I had a similar problem that made the car run very rich and presented the same problems you are describing.