Auxiliary Power Socket

alanrichey

Thinking of adding a 12V socket to my RH Superspec to charge my iPhone (use it as a satnav and that kills the battery). Previous owner suggested I take a tapping off one of two switches on the dashboard (both of which are live all the time, independent of the igntion switch), but said I MUST install a diode in the circuit.

it's a few years since I played with auto-electrics, but I don't ever recall diodes being mentioned. Has something changed ?

Anything else I need to be aware of ?

Thanks

Al

wire it from its own 15 amp fuse and then simply an earth.

Connect the illumination to the side lights.

Ideally a from a permanent live then you can charge your phone without needing the ignition on. :)

Guest chris brown

No diode required do as shaft says take a permanent live either from the bus bar on the fuse block or direct from the battery. A very easy mod and very useful. BTW the illuminated side of it is useful if you do alot of night driving but I never found it a problem not having it lit.

i remember seeing one linked on here that came out from the side. It had a smooth and flat cover and then you pull out the one edge the socket is on the exposed edge, like a wedge.

It was mainly so that the socket came out at a 45degree angle so if i mounted under the dash on the tunnel side it would come forward not across the car into the passengers legs if that makes sense.

anyone know where i can find one?

We had one of these , push to open/push to close ; The box said it was a Bentley part, looked great but was flimsy; we broke the mechanism within a few months & now we are looking for a more robust replacement.

Guest Ian & Carole

We had one of these , push to open/push to close ; The box said it was a Bentley part, looked great but was flimsy; we broke the mechanism within a few months & now we are looking for a more robust replacement.

Thug!! we still have had ours and it is still going strong. :aggressive:

Think you should have hit it a little bit softer Bob

Alan, I mounted a power socket in the boot as well, so can charge items with the ignition off and item locked away.

Wired it through the fusebox as Chris/Nick suggest, simples really.

Hi,

thanks do you have a link? think it may be expensive from the bentley garage :)

thanks