Gearbox Crunch

lockyer89

2.0lt pinto - standard Sierra gearbox, standard clutch - i think! lol

Up through the gears is fine, but as soon as i try putting into reverse, you've got to really crunch it - it's horrible, i make a different face each time!! :80: :crazy: :nea: :shok: I don't know whether it's the clutch, like i said it's fine going up the gears - just putting it into reverse. Or the gearbox?! Anyone had anything similar or can shine any light?

Cheers!

Guest Ian & Carole

Sounds like the clutch is dragging thus not allowing the box to stop spinning before you select reverse.

Try popping the box into 1st gear then, without lifting the clutch, take reverse.

By doing this you are stopping the gear box spinning so selecting reverse, with a set of stationary gears, will be easier.

The science of this is .. all forward gears have synchromesh hubs that slow the rotation of the gears before you select them and helical gears allowing easier meshing.

Reverse has no syncro. and the gears are straight cut which makes the crunch.

HTHs

Have you got the bellhousing dust plate fitted

I had an issue with this and needed to pack the bellhousing out with washers to gain a couple of mm

I was running a V6 box on an RS2000 bellhousing and the spigot was touching the back of the spigot bearing tunnel causing clutch drag

If all else fails ( and I recon it's just clutch adjustment) undo bellhousing bolts, remove a few 1 at a time and put thick washers in

mine does this when its warm as the clutch cable stretches and that fraction is enough to stop it working properly. But sounds like yours is all the time.

If you are using the sierra footpedals you can change to the different quadrant to get more pull on the cable. keep meaning to do it myself...

I had exactly the same problem the bracket that held the cable at the pedal end was bending thus mis adjusting the clutch straitened it then put jubilee clip on the cable on the other side of the firewall that cured it

D