2B Top Ball Joint Replacement

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I just noticed the rubber boots on both my top suspension ball joints are cracked and need replacing, I assume you just replace the entire ball joint unit as they are only £15 ish for a pair rather than trying to replace just the boot seal ??

This looks like the standard unit on mine:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transit-top-ball-joints-suitable-for-kit-car-suspension-Robin-Hoods-etc-/301113873058?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item461bc912a2

Figured I may need a thin walled socket to get at the nut, and also to Make a note of exact number of turns of each arm when I remove it.

Any other hints on what I may need to do the job other than these points I have picked up.

Assume a level of basic stupidity and you won't be far off the mark

ta lovers

Dave

Guest peter2b2002

i have just replaced the bottom ball joint rubbers as they had cracked as there was no sign of rust and still plenty of grease i just replaced the rubbers for 2nd time in 8 years but getting that spring out of the bottom of the rubbers is a bit of a sod

peter2b

Guest david_l_perry

I assume its a fairly easy job to replace just the boots then ?

Do you still have to remove the entire arm assembly or can you unbolt and just replace the boot with the arm still attached to the wishbone ?

Re pack with bearing grease ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i also replaced boots on mine. actually need to do another one this week. If found when i did mine that the spring was trying to pierce the boot so i put a bit of card under the sharp edge as i worked it on. I found i had to work it round to get it on.

As long as the balljoint is nice and smooth/tight no reason not to just change boots. The original clear/yellow boots on the RH supplied joints cracked before my car left the garage!

I guess they prob also get a bit more sun on them than under a normal car adn UV never does rubber any good.

hth

Hi Dave, well I have seen the results of you trying to undo nuts and bolts, so good idea to order new ones,

then again it was me who tightened them so I know what your up against PMSL

Mitch

Guest david_l_perry

Ok so the boots arrived and I got myself a splitter to smash things to bits with....

trackrodend3_zps4f8086bf.jpg

I have removed the wheel, disc and calliper for better access and pulled off the perished remains of the boot for the track rod end - its all visible here:-

trackrodend1_zps559f6912.jpg

I have removed the bolt from below the taper joint (this came off fairly easy) but no matter how hard I strike the splitter I am not getting any movement

trackrodend2_zps4fbc37bf.jpg

First up - do I have the splitter in the right place.....

I think its probably just seized but don't want to keep smashing it if I am missing something .......

Any suggestions or is it just hit it harder.....

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

If you can get the swing right ---- two hammers used in unison --- to strike opposite faces of the dummy strut. Use your jack to put an upward load on the wish-bone near the strut. Was always a sure-fire way to separate mini ball joints & with-out a splitter