Pipercross Inlet Manifold

exlabman

Hi,

I have a 2L red top vaux engine with megajolt and R1 bike carbs drilled out to 1.8mm.

It hasn't been set up yet so runs a little lumpy.

I want to take it for set up,I'm midway between Boggs and the place near GBS.

I am wanting to put some sort of filter on the carbs before it is set up so it doesn't affect the map.

I've come across the pipercross set up that uses a dedicated plate for your carbs then puts a foam housing over that, costs about £70

They also do an air box matched to the carbs that you can duct away from the engine, about £200

This sounds a better option but has anyone used one?

Don't want to spend that sort of money if it isn't any good.

Cheers

D

Guest Ian & Carole

David

Not a bike carb man myself, but if I were in your position I would speak to both Bogg bros. and Russ at Torque tune and ask them the same question.

Something that costs twice the price isn't always twice as good.

There are 2 versions of the air box

One with built in filter and one that requires an external cone

You can feed cold air from the front of the car with either if you can get past the radiator

Or feed cold air from a duct in top of nose, bonnet or side panel vent

Cold air gives more BHP than warm

Rang torque tune who said forget both and go for a k&n universal box that you cut to shape. They said it makes virtually no difference to the map.

Sounds like a knowledgable chap and will be booking in once the bits arrive.

Cheers

D

It may not make a difference to the map but cold air does make a difference to BHP

It's more dense and therefore has more oxygen to burn.

IMHO if you can feed cold air for very little cost then why not

i think it is this video

that looks at cold air ducting and from what i remember it didn't seem to make much difference, which was weird as as you say cold air is denser.

That said putting your intake into an area of high pressure is prob a good thing to help the air get into the engine so no harm trying.

just to throw that into the mix.

• Like 1

i certainly think the engine pulls better on a cold morning but maybe that's just wishful thinking :) They put mist-ers onto intercoolers i think but that may be more to do with excessive heat caused by compressing.

thinking about it do i remember the guys on top gear talking about a water mist-er on the saab turbo back in the 80's?

Its already been said, cold air does give more bhp.Its denser so you can get more in. It may not be much but anything free is worth having. I am currently trying to work out how to blank off all the space around the radiator so that all the air flows through it but I shall also be putting a piece of ducting in so that my carbs have a supply of cooler air. Water mist injection kits are or certainly were available recently for diesels to reduce the charge air temperature.

Pity the video people didn't try a non-turbo engine. I think the turbo and turbo intercooler may have had an effect on the results they got as you are getting a denser charge anyway with a turbo. Carbs need any help they can get!

Yes turbo will skew the result due to the function of the turbo increasing air temp after the air intake thus an intercooler is required.

In this case a bigger cooler would be more important

Did you also notice the ambient air temps were high compared with UK

Ambient was 24,

Cool air feed was 15

Charge temp around 40