Tips And Tricks Thread

Andi

just did this one today...

When you have loads of packing washers you will often find that getting them all to stay in the same place when trying to push the bolt through is one of those jobs that requires a bleep machine.

So to save most of the swearing super glue the washer together. you just need a small drop or two to hold them together. If you use a same size bolt you can slide them on as you glue them so the hole stays inline. Once set in a minute or two you have a much easier job of pushing the block of washers into the space.

oh also might be a little over the top but if i am putting a washer against paintwork i always turn the washer so the rounded edge is against the paintwork to minimise the sharper edge cutting into the paint :)

Guest Tim Norman

I always seem to buy the tools after I need them! So by my recking I will have a lathe and decent pillar drill by the time I finish the Kitten!

Guest mower man

Yes a lathe would be better, but at the time it was either 0.1p masking tape or £500 for a lathe ...

Which is better ? Fiigght :)

Simon.

If you save money on the tape it goes toward buying a lathe [hows the £25 one doing ?] mick :crazy:

Just bought some 'Peel Head' pop rivets to fix the Tenax bases to the fibreglass rear wings for the hood fittings. It occurred to me some members might not know about them. Handy for pop riveting into softish material where a standard rivet might pull through. They 'blossom' into flower shape that will hold in quite soft material without pulling out. Get them on ebay.

Nigel

post-21-0-35468000-1398860324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest scrabster

When using your garden vac,make sure the zip on the collection bag is done up or you will never fill it, just leaves a confetti trail behind you!

Guest bigeein

Not generally so relevant with hoods but when masking for painting use poly bin-bags rather than paper. You can wash them down to get rid of dust in between coats and sanding and they don't go all soggy and fall off if you get them wet whilst you are wet-sanding.

Plus they are cheap.

Never use washing up liquid to lubricate seals for fitting - it's not good for the rubber or metalwork as it's full of salt. Lanolin is the thing to use (or cheap hand cream which is lanolin plus perfumes).

Iain

Green hand swarfega (smooth type) is very good for fitting rubber seals, windscreens , gromits , caliper dust covers , tyres etc etc . It won't corrode the rubber .

Guest Ian Maycock

Also when fitting rubber pipes a spray of WD40 inside pipe and on the pipe connection reduces the friction between the parts.