Is She Really This Heavy?

Guest b3nny

Guest b3nny

Just going through some paper work I have with the car and came across this, can this be right at the time of SVA test it weighs around 1.1 tons? or am I reading the sheet wrong? I thought it would be a far bit lighter than that? She has a locost chassis, and when weighed had a 2.0l pinto engine not sure which gearbox. (now running blacktop zetec engine and cosworth box)image-1.jpeg

That is design weight not actual weight

i.e. Axle weight + driver and passenger 75Kg each + 25Kg per occupant luggage

Design weight is the maximum loaded weight the car is designed to withstand, if you were stopped by VOSA and your car weighed more than Design weight you would have car impounded for over weight

Guest b3nny

Great, though I had bought a fatty! I might just have to get her weighed for the fun of. As Rob said, I have a 2006 VW Passat and the VIN number is in the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side.

The design weight is just a theoretical maximum weight which is of importance mostly during the SVA/IVA test. During the test it is used to verify axle weights are within its limits and is used in calculating efficiency of the brakes, front and rear. The figures on your MAC copy are not measured at the test but paperwork figures, 'calculated' (made up?) by the owner or manufacturer to ensure a pass. They bear no relation to the actual weight of the car.

Nigel

You car will be less . A lot less than a 2b as you havnt got all the extra chassi weight and you won't have the Sierra back axle. If I recall correctly the locost chassis was independent suspension like the current tbs one

Mitch

Guest mower man

My monocoque car with pinto etc come in at 804k [halftank of petrol ,spare wheel etc ] so don't worry too much iwould think that your would pos be in 600K region or less ,caterthings wiegh less but are smaller ,have a lighter engine small battery etc mowerman :search: :crazy:

Guest b3nny

Thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Weighing in at around the 600 mark is music to my ears! As said I would like to get it weighed just out of interest.

Now to look at getting up to the 200bhp mark from 180 😉