Pinto 160@the Wheels?

Guest ChickenLittle

Guest ChickenLittle

Hi Folks,i just joined up this morning and am collecting a 2b i just bought tommorow.

Now i wanted to pick some brains if possible.

The fella thats selling the car said it was dynoed at torquetune in ollerton(which it was cos i rang them!!) and that the dyno chart stated 160bhp @ the wheels but they had not got print out due to having just moved offices.

I am not disputing this claim as torquetune said to me they couldnt remember the exact car over the phone but if it said 160 @the wheels then thats what it is as thats the first figure that shows on their graphs.

I think this is an awful lot to squeeze out of a pinto,what do you guys reckon?

Here is a list of the engine mods.

2.0 pinto 205 block bored to 93 mm

2.8 v6 pistons

lightened and balanced crank

polished ported head

piper 285 ultimate cam with adjustable pulley

4x yamaha r1 carbs on a custom manifold and was rejetted by bogg brothers

mappable distributorless ignition

and a couple of other bits that probably woul;nt make any difference!!!!

Im just doing my homework as i intend to use it on track too and dont want to kill it,lol!!!

Thanks

Liam

Edited by ChickenLittle

I think 160@wheels is generous with only a BP285 & 10.5 to 1

160bhp @ flywheel is good

I am rebuilding a 2.1 with FR32, similar spec to yours but with a standard injection head, dyno plot said 128bhp @ 135 FtLbs

My 2.1 special (still restricted to 10.5 to 1) with RL31 should get above 170bhp @ fly

Guest chrispine

If I was paying good money for this I would insist on seeing the dyno printout, how much would a power run cost to prove it? As said above, 160 @ the wheels is generous, I think the seller may be getting wheels and flywheel mixed up or not know about transmission losses.

A 7 with a type 9 box & a sierra diff will lose between 25 & 35 bhp in transmission drag.

185 - 195 bhp at the flywheel is highly unlikely with that spec.

But as Paul says 160 even at the flywheel is pretty good.

& if you havent driven a lightweight car like this, you will be guaranteed a huge grin.

Guest mower man

160 at the wheels is as said generous with the spec given I think its more likley the guesstimate at the crank . It will not be a snail even with that , get a power reading as CMA saysand you will be nearer the truth mower man p.s. it s a sim spec to my own car except I run a 38 dgas gives around 125 at the wheels and a factored 144 at rhe crank

Yes as above.

I had my Pinto done twice at Torquetune. Real old school but squeezed all he could from mine.

I had just rebuilt the engine with a rebore, new pistons/ rings etc and had the head skimmed, new valve seats/ guides and valves reground. I then polished/ ported the head.

Using an FR31 Cam and bike carbs mine pushed out approx 125-130 at the rear wheels which is 160bhp at the flywheel.

I'm guessing the guy has his figures muddled and the 160 quoted is at the flywheel...

Either that or he has a blower bolted on :acute:

Guest ChickenLittle

Gentlemen., thank you., your answers were pretty much what i thought anyway.

i had a robin hood about six years ago with a 2.0 pinto but never had it dynoed., bad luck saw me sell it on the same day i sold my clio track car., pot luck both buyers turned up within half an hour of each other.!

i got this one at what i believe to be an extremely good price so ill be happy with 160@ the flywheel.!

First thing after ive driven it for a few weeks is a cage. and some slick tyres.,!.

Thank you.

Liam

Guest ChickenLittle

Yep,that's what id do but my daughter,bless her has somehow lost the Bluetooth dongle and I cant send pics to my pc and when I email them they somehow get in windows live editor where they are doomed to stay for all eternity cos im a bricklayer not a computer boffin!!!!!

cheers though!!!!!

well I got a pic onto photobucket but now it wont et me paste the link onto here,im giving uppppppppp!!!!

Edited by ChickenLittle

Guest Ian & Carole

Does look nice.

Must confess as to not really being bothered about how many horses we have or ft lb of torques we have under the bonnet. They are just bragging rights in the pub.

It is all down to how well it goes and how reliable it is to my mind that's more important.