Starter Motor Engaging But Not Turning Flywheel

dandanfireman

Hi guy its been a long while but here goes. Been trying to fix what i thought was originally a dud battery. On turning the key there is a loud clunking noise as the starter engages however thats all that happens. The car does not turn over at all. I have tested the starter out of the car and it works fine, however I cannot guarantee it has enough power to start once in place.

This starter has been fitted for at least 8 years now and could be on its way out i guess. The engine turns freely and the battery is new and a 60ah 550cca battery.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Sounds like the contacts of the starter solenoid are at fault --- it's possible to strip it down -- clean all the dust & grease out -- polish the contact faces & re-assemble. BUT REMEMBER to un-solder the solenoid connections first -- the wires break off it not done --- ( how do I know this)

• Like 1

If it is a bad connection then it will get hot when you try starting.

Try the starter for a couple of seconds and then feel the battery connections, if one is hot then there is the problem.

Then try starting and feel the connection to the starter.........

Last try the earth connection.

If you are fast you can posibly feel all four connections before the culprit has a chance to cool down.

The other problem I once had that was similar was when the starter mounting bolts came loose.

The power is supplied by the big red cable

The solenoid is activated by the small wire

So I surmise there is power to the starter, enough to engage the solenoid but not enough to power the motor

Probably the brushes or crud in the starter motor gears

There could be some foreign part or just dirt between the contactor contacts inside the solenoid. It's just a very big relay which if dirt has got between the main power means the power is not getting to the starter itself.

Or the bushes may need replacing inside the starter. Or the commutator is worn out. Or the motor has burnt out ... Or ...

Start with the simple things and work up to finally replacing the motor ... :)

Simon.

Guest mower man

As I have just replaced mine [it had sim probs but intermitant ]my honest opinion is it is FUBARED try electrostart in Daventry they offer a 1,4 kw replacment not cheap but bloody good [158£ ] mowerman

Guest mower man

Florin's starter solenoid was refurbished as I outlined above -- 3 years 30k miles ago -- you pays your money & takes your choice -- if U/S what is to be lost by stripping down for a look-see.

The sol on the starter I deep sixed was crimp construction ,not possible to strip! mick :crazy:

Thanks everyone for your replies after the first reply of realising i had put the battery isolator on the negative terminal i removed it and put the battery on straight to the terminal and she cranked straight away. Its was ok after all that it was a bloody earthing fault lol Oh well i think it needed a new battery and starter as they were over 10 years old anyway. I did feel a bit stupid there haha.

That's not stupid!

This is really stupid....

Built my first engine and when it came to first start up it just would not fire, everything we did, would not make it fire.

Took out the plugs, squirt some easy start in, tun over and there was a slight kick and pop.

A bit of paper hand towel shot out of the exhaust.

I had put hand towel in each port to stop crud getting in and had fully fitted and sealed the inlet manifold with all 4 ports full off hand towel's.

Now that is stupid

• Like 1