Strange Rattle

Guest olivehood

Guest olivehood

Is there anyone spare s Yorks area to have a look a my kit . It's suddenly developed a strange rattle from the engine. It seams to run ok but something is not right would appreciate an hr or so to have a look and listen. Many thanks chris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcramsay

Record a video on your ipad and upload it to youtube, then paste the link on here. Is it a constant rattle? Does it go away when you push in the clutch pedal? Run the engine and using a long handled screwdriver ( handle on your ear and top on the engine) can you pin point more directly where it is coming from ( you will be surprised what you can hear through a screw driver) give everything in the engine bay a good shake. A loose bracket vibrating can sound like it's coming from the depths of the engine, when really it's just a loose bolt needing nipped up.

Guest mcramsay

As for checking the exhaust hold a bit of toilet paper at each runner gasket if it flutters about you have a exhaust gas leak... Bare in mind if it's a pinto with a viscos fan you will have to put some thick gloves on and hold the fan while checking otherwise the turbulence from the fan will blow the paper all over the place

Hi, could you be a bit more specific as to what kind of rattle, is it a tinny sound or a more solid sound,does it happen at a certain time - under load or at a certain rev band . If you can give a bit more info then some-one will be able to advise you.

Guest olivehood

Bit busy at the moment Chris, but if I get a spare hour one eve this week I'll call round.

Nick

ps. A ticking noise can mean a leaking exhaust gasket.

cheers nick 07811533026 in after 5

Stick a bit of hose or metal pipe in your ear and the other end of hose in various places on the engine and you should be able to locate the exact position of it.

AS EVER KEEP OUT THE WAY OF MOVING PARTS

Never hurts to keep stating that I reckon.

Andi

Resort to the age old stethoscope......

It looks exactly like a big, long screwdriver.

Place the point anywhere on the engine.....put the handle in your ear....really.

Dont stick your nose in the fan......

Move it around to identify where its loudest.....that narrows down the possible culprits