Custom Exhaust Manifold

Guest greavesy7

My eldest son bought a 205GTi with one of their manifolds and it split on a weld. They were extremely helpful and repaired the manifold at no cost even though he hadn't bought it from them originally. So top marks for customer service!

out of interest they look like they are mig welded? i thought they would have tig'd them. Not that it makes a difference to me i only question as i've just made my own stainless manifold and i can only mig weld so just wondered what the pro's do, figured they would prefer tig.

Sorry to be a dissenting voice but there are a couple of things to question on the Ashley exhaust. The bends are not mandrel bends and narrow a little on the short sides of each radius. The collectors join at slightly too acute an angle and will slow gas flow more than ideal. Secondaries seem a bit long in comparison to the primaries but I don't know what that engine 'likes'. Signs of a custom exhaust made with a mass produced approach. It is still a perfectly good exhaust. Most out there will be worse performers, but it could be improved on by someone making a genuine custom with individual attention to detail. Wether you would get a significant performance increase or the cost benefit would be worth it by going to a custom exhaust fabricator like Martin Keenan is debatable. The price jump would make your eyes bleed. (500-600 for the manifold and 300 for the silencer at least and could be double that if you go to Simpson!)

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

The other point I would make with these guys (from experience) is that I suspect they're only interested in dealing with cars on the premises. I tried to get them to supply system parts off a detailed drawing and despite good initial response, after a couple of chasing emails I gave up and concluded I was too much hassle for them. Now this is probably fine for your needs - if you can get the car to them I'm sure it's all fine and dandy. I just wish they'd have been a little more honest with me and just said "Too much hassle mate, sorry, not interested".

Guest alexpink

I was quoted £300 for a custom 4-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold from SA Fabrications near Leicester. Having seen some of their previous work it seems very good, however they do need the car to work on.

Guest peter2b2002

i had mine made by a chap near Tingwick Bucks £400 but that was 10 years but he ago made it in 1 day all fully balanced

peter2b

Edited by peter2b2002

£650 manifold and silencer, about 2 1/2 years ago. I had to take the car there to mock up. They actually put the first manifold in the waste bin becuase they were not happy with primary length and one had a slight flat spot, good guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of another 'Ashley', you can always get a kit and weld it yourself.

http://stores.spencerashley.com/manifold-kits/

For example, all the components needed for a 4:2:1 including manifold, downpipes, 4 to 2 collector, pipes and 2 to 1 collector into the silencer pipe will cost £95 for a Zetec. You can then arrange and weld at your leisure.

I have one and it's fine.