Water Heated Seats?

agent_zed

Was musing the other day about heated seats in the 2b and started thinking why do i have to use electric (and therefore more fuel) when there is so much waste heat being produced by the engine and being got rid of.

Obviously not talking about just running the water pipes straight from the engine bay as you'd have a pretty hot behind at 100degrees but what if you have a heat exchanger heating water to 45degrees or whatever.

I know some fancy computers run water coolers so would effectively be running one of those through the seats. Both circuits would be separate for safety so you shouldn't burn your bum if it went wrong.

has this ever been done?

Guest Gargoil

One small technical problem to get over first, who would want to sit on a cold water seat, waiting for the engine to warm up, when that is precisely the time you want heated seats?

There again, I'm starting to think slip on shoes and trousers with elasticated waistlines are the next big thing.

Off for a nap now.

:lazy:

hmm yeah that could potentially be a problem although i was thinking the pipe would be pretty small bore so you wouldn't have a load of cold water to sit on and warm up. i was thinking 3/4mm bore and if it was under a layer of seat sponge it wouldn't be instantly sapping heat.

If you could keep the volume of water down to say 1/2 litre then maybe it would be quick enough to warm to 45 degrees perhaps?

If i ran the heat exchanger off the water coming from the head then it would heat up relatively fast or perhaps a heatsink on the head.

or maybe i am crazy :crazy:

Guest ali2992

Yeah but the extra power requirements coming from the heated seat mean the engine has to produce more power and hence uses more fuel. That's why sometimes on older cars when you turn lights on the idle revs may jump a bit

Guest 2b cruising

One small technical problem to get over first, who would want to sit on a cold water seat, waiting for the engine to warm up, when that is precisely the time you want heated seats?

There again, I'm starting to think slip on shoes and trousers with elasticated waistlines are the next big thing.

Off for a nap now.

:lazy:

elastic acted waste and ankles. Gas heating?

Guest 2b cruising

hmm yeah that could potentially be a problem although i was thinking the pipe would be pretty small bore so you wouldn't have a load of cold water to sit on and warm up. i was thinking 3/4mm bore and if it was under a layer of seat sponge it wouldn't be instantly sapping heat.

If you could keep the volume of water down to say 1/2 litre then maybe it would be quick enough to warm to 45 degrees perhaps?

If i ran the heat exchanger off the water coming from the head then it would heat up relatively fast or perhaps a heatsink on the head.

or maybe i am crazy :crazy:more likely a tap on the head. You've got water to heavily on your mind. Lol