Fitting Gauges

tractor

right now onto third tacho this is another smiths but this one has the whight looped feed wire one end goes to distributer and other to coil found out that much all on my own the big question is will it work on mine wasted spark megajolt if so how positive comments welcome

That sounds like a very old tacho -- the looped wire is just measuring the current drawn -- if this is correct ( its the ones we used back in the 60's) then the reading is at best a guestimate.

On previous tacho is there no dip switches or alternative wiring connections?

Edited by florin metal works

I have said I could design a converter to go from 4 to 6 cylinders or vice versa using a microcontroller to measure the real output and to fake up the required output.

Sounds complicated I know, but quite possible and would mean you could have the tacho that you want rather than one that just "works".

The controller would count the pulses it is getting (you tell it how many cylinders it's reading and how many it's required to generate) and it would then create the right pulse train to suit the tacho you installed.

(It would look kind of cool to see a V8 tacho on display when you only have 4 cylinders :) )

Simon.

got my gauges today so got stuck in recut dashboard and cut all the holes but speedo hole needed to be a different size so off to the shops again to buy another hole saw unfortunately didn't make it back work got in the way so carry on tomorrow