Seat Retention! Overkill?!

Guest Darren2010

Totally agree with the above comments - excellent work, it looks great! :good:

It scares me to death knowing there are loads of people driving around with their seats bolted down to a flimsy thin piece of steel held on to the chassis with a few rivets - spreader plates or not :shok:

Edited by FERRINO

Have you put any load spreading internally?

Worth noting iva guidelines are

load spreading plates at least 100 x 100 x 4mm thick.

 spreader plates fitted between the front legs and the inside of the vehicle floor

 spreader plates between the rear leg securing nuts and the underside of the vehicle floor.

Edited by theduck

All this talk of weak floor pans does make me think to double check what I did many years ago.

If you have a welder a couple of pieces welded between those and it would be ultra rock solid, but looks pretty solid already from the pic

Just thinking about my seats and because the entire frame sits on the floor it must be load spreading already. Would prob be worse on plates in my case. Obv if your seat is on runners or only contacts at certain points then spreader plates above and below. Or is my thinking wrong?

Guest 2b cruising

Spreader plates are for heavy braking or solid object stopping. Hence rear plates fitted underside. Front plates fitted inside vehicle.

As for floor mounting, would need a 4 mm thick floor going by rule pointed out by The Duck

Spreader plates may satisfy the IVA test -- but personally I went for transferring the load ( me ) to the chassis -- either across the car as above or in my case with 2" x 1" channel welded between angle iron ( which joined seat back to floor ) & the cross tube on floor directly below dash. With the spreader plates the load is still taken by the floor -- is that fixed with 4/5mm pop rivets?? If so your dainty body is pulling these in shear or maybe elongation of the 0.7mm floor sheet holes.

Pot-holes & compression bumps will tell.

Spreader plates are for heavy braking or solid object stopping. Hence rear plates fitted underside. Front plates fitted inside vehicle.

As for floor mounting, would need a 4 mm thick floor going by rule pointed out by The Duck

I can understand the rear under plate but if my seat frame is touching the floor all around then if I lift it to fit plates I will actually increase loading in those 2 areas at the front won't it? Without it the frame distributes the force over a bigger area and is essentially a big spreader plate if you follow my thinking. Obv if u are going to iva then rules are rules

Guest Darren2010

It's all good work -- for adding that " F1 titanium spark effect " as you plane-off the lumps & bumps in the tarmac.

If they spark I'm in trouble!!!! I'll have already lost the sump & Rear axle!!!