What Is A Pinch Bolt?

danielbrookes

Guest 2b cruising

A pinch bolt goes through a tube type fitting to tighten the tube against the solid bar/bolt.

ie track rod tube onto track rod end.

Edited by 2b cruising

Make certain the bolt is grade 8.8 or higher tensile strength ( not stainless ) & belt & braces -- use a bolt long enough to take a nylok nut after the tube is pinched tight. Double B&B is to put a pin through the two as well.

Guest Ian & Carole

Quick question, I have my pinch bolt - long enough for a lock nut other side plus at least three threads. Is it wise or even necessary to put a spring washer under the head? I will have enough length but unsure if it's needed or indeed not a good idea.

No need, just remember though that a nylock is a one use only nut.

depending which pinch bolt it is there is normally some form of failsafe. The bottom pinch bolt on a hub for example normally sits in a groove in the pin so if the bolt comes loose the pin should not slip out as it is held a bit by the bolt.

The top dummy strut is bad in this respect as there is no failsafe. The mcpherson strut originally used has a wing sticking out with a hole the bolt goes through, the wing being thin enough to sit between the two parts without being pinched. So you should really look at a failsafe if it is the dummy mcpherson you are wondering about. There are different ways of doing it and some people disagree with how it should be done. I followed RH's advice and drilled an 8mm hole through the hub and lock it together with an 8mm bolt. Another option could be to weld the wing back on so it works the same as before. You would need to work out which way round the strut needs to go first and then weld a thin piece (maybe 2mm?) steel vertical with a hole for the pinch bolt to pass through.

hope that makes sense

Guest Ian & Carole

Dummy struts do fall out if you don't use a secondary security method. I forgot!!!!

Image021.jpg

When we got home I fitted 4, 3 mm roll pins 2 to each strut.

That happened as we stopped for fuel on the A1 having just returned from a tour of Europe including a spirited lap of the "Ring" How lucky were we??

As per Ian's "after the event" failsafe, Florin wears roll pins which stick through the dummy strut & can be felt both sides so it's easy to check both sides of the pin anytime the tyre pressure is checked or what-ever.

Edited by florin metal works
  • Like 1