What Fuel Pumps, Pots Etc Are You Using For Your Injection Systems

speedtripledan

with the supercharger coming along very nicely its time for the the fuel injection system to be bought and assembled, so being new to fuel injection i have a few questions.

1, What hi pressure fuel pumps are you using ? there seems to be loads out there at all prices and flow rates, i want something reliable

2, what regulators are you using.

3, where are you mounting them ?

4 what size fuel lines are you using ? i was thinking 8mm feed and return

i intend to modify my existing fuel tank ( a new one) so that there is a swirl pot within it. if i added a rectangular section at the bottom of the tank with a a few holes into the main tank would that then get rid of the need to have a low pressure pump as gravity would supply this section and it would be surge protected?

thanks in advance for any advice

I went with a tank extension and few issues I've found are.

Angle of tank can reduce effective size.

Take off on the side again reduces effective size.

You need your return to return to the swirl pot if you dont you can empty it quicker than it will refill when low on fuel.

Its better to have walls/baffles around the pot, if your take off is to one side you need to hold as much fuel as you can in the pot. Centrifugal forces when cornering will move the fuel especially when near empty.

Definately fit a pump pre filter, sytec do one for around 20 quid that can have different fittings to match the pump.

I think a good size would be around 1litre with baffles above.

My efi system is Sierra so reg and pump is ford, i have the pump mounted behind the diff level with the take off.

Jez

Bosh blue injectors from Astra VXR in mine, good for well over 300bhp before they start nearing their limit.

Sytec 3 bar high pressure pump mounted under the boot floor near the tank. I think it's rated for 225 litres/hour but can't remember now, could be l/min?

Original VXR fuel rail and manifold pressure controlled pressure regulator

8mm fuel lines.

I know antb was using a subaru impreza in tank pump on his cossie powered 2B which is another option.

• Like 1

Best injector table I have come across is Stan Weiss http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

Got a few more listed!

Although I have used ebay kit for my car I would recommend top quality stuff on yours. Sytec for pump and pressure regulator. It would also be useful to include a fuel pressure and boost gauge to aid with set-up.

Nigel

A tall two litre swirlpot would be good too and don't forget most decent flow HP pumps have a 12mm inlet so 12mm outlet on the swirlpot needed. (I made my own)

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Other thoughts. I prefer external swirlpot and pumps to in-tank unless you are starting to build a tank from scratch. Almost no chance of fuel starvation.

I don't know enough about charging to make much comment but as I understand it you can go either rising rate fuel pressure regulator on low boost systems or MAF/MAP/ECU and it does seem sensible to let the ECU do the whole shebang. It has all those functions built in and programmable, along with the ability to read lambda and make changes to itself. You're going to have to have an ECU with either system. Use it 100%.

Better to over specify the pump and regulator so you know its able to maintain 3 bar at full boost, 8000rpm and the pedal on the floor. Going lean under stress is not an option.

Nigel

Dan, for pump pre filter the cheapest option is the clear plastic ones with the 8mm bore.

I've used these with no problems. I have also fitted dry break petrol compliant connectors between the tank and filter - really makes it easy for changing the filter.

As Nigel said, 12mm inlet to the pump with an 8mm outlet.

Am using a Sytec 3 bar 270lph (ish) Bosch 044 type.

Will change to the Bosch at some pint as pump is getting a bit noisy

Oops, forgot to add, standard Ford Zetec injectors & regulator (on the injector rail return side), single throttle body & GBS inlet plenum

Edited by Al Milton