Bottom Wishbone Bracket

Guest jelleyhead

Guest jelleyhead

Hi all had the car out for a short drive to test new radiator + fan.

On the way back the steering felt a bit odd so stopped to check it out.

I found that the bracket that holds the bottom wishbone had moved also I had lost some nuts along the way. See photo

Red arrow were the bracket should be .

Blue arrow bolt that holds bracket in place no longer has nut on it and bracket has lifted.

Green arrow bolt that goes through wishbone and bracket no longer has nut on it .

Lock nuts were on all bolts . Should this bracket be welded in place or should I try and put another bolt in it. Would it also be a good idea to take it apart just to check the is no other damage to the bushes.

post-13207-0-39896900-1472469829_thumb.jpeg

Guest Ian & Carole

Who ever built that and thought 1 bolt would do wants shooting.

Obviously you have checked the other side ??

Another bolt at least, although I would personally weld it once back in the correct place.

No harm in checking for other damage although it looks OK from the pic.

Edited by Ian & Carole

Just about everything is wrong with that. Bush looks worn. Bolt through bush looks too short. After going through its locknut there should be three threads showing. Hole for same bolt in bracket is worn too big. Position of bolt to hold down bracket is too far away from the return on the bracket. And its just one bolt. Is it long enough. Did it also not have free threads showing when done up.

I would weld it in place after checking shims that adjust fore and aft position of the wishbone end. Get a longer wishbone bolt of at least 8.8 strength and a new bush. Ream all holes so they are snug on the bolt and choose bolt to suit.

If just bolting the bracket down put two bolts close to the return/bend and one at centre back edge.

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Agree with all above.

Not a well constructed joint at all.

Check the other side while you are at it.

The two bolt fitting is crucial because of the forces felt at that point.

Both of my brackets on each side are welded.

If reaming to reshape the holes, new bolts to fit the holes and bushes are a must.

Guest mower man

I've just lost my first reply /comment on this ,may be as well it was bit strong ! so I'll calm it down a bit ,if the rest of the build quality is as bad as that it will require a lot of work! Welding may present a few probs as it looks as if there is stainless involved no problem with the right experience and kit but other wise not easy ! .Has this car been IVA/mot tested ? and who actually built it ? in my opinion it needs pulling to bits and rebuilding . I apologise if its the op and if you bought it the guy who did build it should be very worried , this sort of thing puts all kit car enthusiasts in a bad place Rant far from over but I might get into deep caca if I don't stop mick :aggressive: :aggressive: :sorry: :acute:

Guest jelleyhead

I have checked the other side all seems ok but I think I will be re-doing that aswell just to be on the safe side.

The bolt holding the bracket on was on the last couple of threads jammed in the bottom plate, I think if I had of hit a hole or bump in the road it would have been out .

The bolt on the wishbone I would say is long enough but as the nut has came off the bolt had started to work it's way out.

I will strip it down and replace bushes and bolts and weld brackets in place.

Thanks again Darren

Just to add I didn't build the car!

Guest jelleyhead

I have owned this car for 3 years now although it's spent most of that in the garage as it's always problem after problem saying this I have always wondered if the build quality was any good on it as it's my first kit car I was never to sure what to look for when I got it.

The car passed an IVA in 2007 I have now put it through two mots some points picked up when it's been mot.

Darren

Darren's car is a Superspec so that part of the suspension would have been assembled at the RH factory before being sold, so unless the original builder changed the design you can't blame him.

Having said that I have just been under mine and cannot match it up with the picture. Is it the front bolt of the lower wishbone (which on my Superspec is mounted on to the cross-box that holds the steering rack), or the rear bolt ?

Guest peter2b2002

I'm guilty after 11 years mine failed due to movement in the bottom bracket one if the 5mm bolts that tricky said put in had come out allowing the bracket to move under the mot guys lever quick fix replaced the bolt pass

peter2b

Unfortunately this is how Richard designed the wishbone front suspension, with a single bolt through this angle that bolts down through the "L" section of the chassis.

On mine I drilled a second hole, using a second bolt. This will at least prevent rotation. Use bolts of at least 8.8, IVA demand at least 2 threads showing through lock nuts. You can weld this bracket, but must be done after correct shimming of the lower wishbone, the accuracy of this spacing varies from car to car, and indeed from side to side.

to be fair as @colinmoore says that is how people were told to do it in the video. I was never happy with that so welded mine (mild steel) before i had the chassis powder coated.

RH did a lot of telling people to bolt stuff as this requires a less technical input over welding and a lot of people don't have a welder. There were lots of areas that i welded over bolting when i built mine as i was lucky enough to have a welder.

Another example is the 3 ridiculous self tappers to hold the windscreen because it's harder to tell people to drill and tap holes for a machine screw.