Rev Counter

Guest oldman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The builder will have put it somewhere convenient for themselves as originally it was probably behind a panel in the passenger footwell or something similar. If it's the original ecu it will be a flat silver box with either a grey or white socket on it for your loom to plug in to. It will be a big plug too probably bigger than any other on the loom.

Thanks for all your help had the 2b over the pit today I cannot find the ecu the only place I have not looked is the box/enclosure that the fuse box sits on top of and relays on the front could it be in there cheers

Guest 2b cruising

Loose panel just below your battery shortening the leg room on the passenger side.

A little awkward with the exhaust on but doable.

Oops was only thinking about dohc or Zeneca engine. If your on pinto power, your exhaust will be on the opposite side.

The ecu could still be there though. Mine has two self tappers holding the cover on.

Guest 2b cruising

I might know where things should be.

Wiring though. Yuck. It sucks.

You are in a reasonably strong membership area so a shout out for help should work OK for you.

To find it yourself you would need the workshop manual and be able to translate diagrams to physical components.

Should not be to bad as long as you have a magnifying glass to read the small numbers corresponding to the plug and the pins.

Edited by 2b cruising

Been said several times. Find the ECU (done). Then your next step is to get it correctly identified.

Could be the original ford one or aftermarket such as megajolt/squirt, emerald, omex or a number of other possibles. Only when you have correctly identified the ECU can anyone hope to work out which wire goes to the rev counter. ECU's can easily have well over a hundred wires to choose from!

Nigel

E9AF 14A624 AA is an EEC-1V Ford ECU. 60 pins/terminals. Phew. So has come from a donor ford.

Nigel

If a mondeo of earlier than 97 then the signal is probably a white/black wire from pin 4 on the ECU according to Haynes. It appears some automatics had a separate ignition module (or this may be for later models with EEC-V ECU) and the white/black wire came from pin 11 on the ignition module, not from the ECU. Does seem to be white/black for both so if you pull the plug from the ECU, find pin 4 and it's got a white/black wire on it I would give it a go. (If pin 4 has a white/green on it you are looking for an ignition module).This is just stuff I have read from my Haynes mondeo manual and I have no specific personal knowledge of the EEC-1V. My Haynes only lists those two variations but there could easily be more!

The rev counter will also need a 12v+ supply and an earth. (And a wire from the instrument/side-lights for illumination, with or without another earth)

Edited by Longboarder

Guest mcramsay

out of interest what Rev counter is installed in the car? If it's aftermarket you may have to tell it what no of cylinders the engine has or no of pulses per engine revoloution... if it's a stock Rev counter from a donor car then the above will not apply