Robin Hood Exmo, From Barn To Iva

NickandNeil

Finally the interior has been upholstered, fitted bike wing mirrors, reinforced rear suss mounts and changed dampers at the rear to ford Capri ones.

We have a probem with the silencer, there is a sharp edge at the front and the tail pipe needs a rounded edge.

Looking for a tachometer, and temp gauge and we should be ready for the IVA.

Now we are wondering if it can be tested this year with the backlog due to the Corona virus.

IMG_20200419_120031.jpg

IMG_20200419_120024.jpg

It's coming along nicely, fingers crossed you can get it on the road this year.

Could you not just fit a chrome trim to tail pipe and some sort of heat guard to cover the silencer?

Edited by geordie40

it is one of the options we are considering, the tail pipe is no problem as you IVA aproved tail pipe extensions, the front edge of the silencer is the problem, and yes I will look into heatshields. thanks for the sugestion.

41 minutes ago, NickandNeil said:

it is one of the options we are considering, the tail pipe is no problem as you IVA aproved tail pipe extensions, the front edge of the silencer is the problem, and yes I will look into heatshields. thanks for the sugestion.

Something like this maybe, if it ok for Caterham should be ok for IVA

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/3044-exhaust-guard-6q-side-exit-vvc-rover.html

I have see ones you can get your own design laser cut into , a bit more pricey tho!!

You can also get aluminum edge trim like the U channel stuff I’m sure you have used lots of the rubber equivalent. I have that fitted on my silencer and it’s still on there. 

On 4/19/2020 at 6:50 PM, geordie40 said:

Something like this maybe, if it ok for Caterham should be ok for IVA

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/other/3044-exhaust-guard-6q-side-exit-vvc-rover.html

I have see ones you can get your own design laser cut into , a bit more pricey tho!!

Cheers Geordie! That's exactly what we were looking for but nearly £20 cheeper than what I found. 

On 4/19/2020 at 7:02 PM, magh said:

You can also get aluminum edge trim like the U channel stuff I’m sure you have used lots of the rubber equivalent. I have that fitted on my silencer and it’s still on there. 

Did that go through the IVA ok with just the trim? 

• 6 months later...

So, as we feared the corana virus put a stop the the IVA centres checking out the cars.  we had to wait until the end of June for the test.

We took it to the Exeter center and our hearts sank as the inspector told us he had only ever passed one kit car first time , and that was someone who worked there and had seeked his advice all the way through the build.

IT FAILED. 

Although he was very complimentary on the work we had done, and said the fail list was very short and we should be proud of what we had done so far, and he should be able to fit a retest in within a mounth.

Ist fail.

The speedo we used was a smiths one from an old fashioned type that came from a ford 1600e Cortina.  The gearbox was a sierra.  The speedo failed the speed test because the origional wheels were different sizes.  It was reading slow, so wheen the vehicle read 70 mph, it was actually doing seventy eight mph.

We thought about changin the speedo but could not find one in the old smiths style.  We got round the problem by recalibrating a new face for the old speedo and printing it out on Photo quallity paper.  We postiond the 70mph on the point where the old 80 mph was.  This gave us 2 mph leaway, as they are not bothered if the speedo reads fast, just slow.

See picture of modified speedo.

speedo.jpg

Fail 2.

Seat belt mounts.

We had fitted a stengthening bar across the width of the car, under the top lip of the upper section of the boot.  The four point seat belts were fixed to this.  He wanted the bar to be attacched to the upper suspension brackets as well.

We fabricated the brackets, here you can see one we made, and again fitted to  car.

bracket loose.jpg

bracket.jpg

Fail 5.

Front indicators.  Although we had fitted side indicators on the cycle wings they still insist that the front ones on the car can be seed from the side angle.  WTF?

When we bought the car they were already fitted to the butress, and othe Exmos I had seen were the same, so we missed this.  He said he wanted them moved to the nose of the car.  Club member Graham curtiss suppied us a pair freeof charge. See pic.

indicators.jpg

Fail 6.

All bolts under the car must have nylock nuts or split washers. 

We bought this car assembled and the guy that built it did not put any on.  This seemed like a simple fix, but he had used steel bolts and after standing for twenty years were rusted solid.  To stop them shaking loose we had to use a three foot bar on the socket to remove them, and in some cases had to grind them off.  It seemed uterly pointless, but the regualtions must be followed.

The retest is now in November 2020, so missed another summer.  WE will let you know how we get on.