Ford Engine Identification Expertise?

Jonty Wild

Does anyone have the knowledge to help me please? I am in the process of buying a 2B, the hold up at the moment is that I (and the owner) believe it is a 2.0l, but it is registered as a 1600 – I understand the hassle of changing this later. The engine block number is 85HM6015BB and it is a 205 block. I believe that the HM means 1987 and the 6015 is universal. AA would mean 1300cc and BA 1600cc, but I have yet to find anything that confirms BB to be 2000cc or that 205 was only used for 2000cc. If I can find something that is relatively official then I will buy it, also the servicing garage will annotate the paperwork to that effect and that will enable me to correct the V5C without too much of an issue (and cost).

The 205 block is a 2litre block.  Earlier blocks had 16 or 20 on the side for 1.6 and 2litre, later blocks were 165, 185 and 205 for 1.6, 1.8 and 2litre respectively.

Also you could look to see if the head is for unleaded.

Normally, 2.0 litre heads with unleaded valve seats are stamped with 'P', 'PP', 'R' or 'RR'.
Unleaded I/D for Pinto next to number 4 spark

1.6-- M,MM,N or NN

1.8-- S or SS

2.0-- P,PP,R or RR

I can't remember where I got this from.

Thanks again for all your help. I will check the head when I next see it - but that will be the decision point, so any other help or advice would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. The trouble is that I need a definitive statement from someone who the DVLA will accept, e.g. Ford - local garages say they don't have records for that long ago, a garage/mechanic - they don't seem to want to put their name to a document unless they can also find something definitive online, which confirms block numbers to CCs or maybe a car club statement on headed paper would do - I don't know who to ask in the RHOCaR.

Basically I don't want to open a can of worms with the DVLA, by which I mean if I tell them correctly that it is a 2 litre but cannot back that up if they ask questions, then I don't know what action they may choose to take (if any), e.g. insist on a report that I can't yet get.

What you have to realise about the DVLA is that they are bureaucrats - they know NOTHING about cars. They're just ticking boxes on a screen - tell them it's a 2 litre, send a picture of the engine number, tell them that means its a 2 litre and I'd be surprised if they ask for more.