Confused help ! Fuel pump

LeicJim3a

I have just swooped the mechanical pump for a facet electric pump. All wires in pump runs when ignition on but is not getting fuel to the carb ? Any ideas I thought this pump would be easily strong enough? I have took fuel hose off under bonnet before regulator and it is bone dry ? IMG_7232.thumb.jpeg.d0a57be1f289a52860ff1df9ea00e063.jpeg

As I see it there are 4 posibilities.

1 pump fitted wrong way round and is pumping from engine to tank.

2 no petrol in tank.

3 blockage.

4 dead pump.

I am hoping that you have already checked 1 & 2.

If you disconnect the outlet from the pump does fuel flow? If it does blockage in line to engine. Otherwise blockage between tank and pump. Did you use PTFE tape around the right angle connections as this can block the connection. Dirt in the system can also cause blockage by stoping the non return working I do not see any filter in the system.

Fingers crossed that you find the fault.

Ian

Thanks Ian pump is right way round I dipped the tank with a piece of tube about 2 inch of fuel in tank I will go and get 5 gallon to be 100%  fuel line is as was for old pump so should be clear but again will check, no PTFE tape used anywhere. Should be something simple mainly wanted to check pump was suitable and the turns on fuel line where not causing the issue 

That pump should do the job no problem but I would really recommend a filter between it and the tank.  As Ian says these pumps really don't like any dirt.

Good luck,  Steve

So I have finally got somewhere ! I took a new power supply straight from battery to pump and it ran way faster and pumped fuel immediately. The power supply I was using was from under the dash coming out of loom so I need to create a new feed to the pump and all should be good 👍 

Only one that we had an issue with was in a Saxo trackcar, if you hit the kerbs too hard, which was good really as if you hit them too hard it would also take out the driveshaft 😂

Just position it somewhere within reach, under the dashboard for instance, although I've never had any others trip

Hi Jim,

Just looking at the reflection of your pump's ground wire in the video - it looks like it's going to the top of the rubber mount, not actually to ground ????

Difficult to tell properly from the video but could this be your problem ?

Edited by Foz

Hi Foz in part you are correct one end is on the top of the bobbin therefore touching the body of the pump the other end sits on bottom of bobbin touching the boot floor that I cleaned with a flap wheel before hand to ensure a good connection. I’m as confident in the earth as I can be 

I fitted a Ford inertia switch and had the same fear as you, tripping due to the harsh ride. The inertia switch has a normally closed contact and a normally open contact. The normally closed feeds the fuel pump and the normally open feeds a 12v buzzer. If the inertia switch activates the fuel pump stops and the buzzer starts thus giving an audible warning. In addition I attached the inertia switch using a plug and socket, I made a shorting plug as well so that if the inertia switch started tripping regularly I could unplug it and fit the shorting plug so I could keep driving.

I have been running with the electric fuel pump and inertia switch for 5 years and done 5000 miles and the switch has never activated. 

I am looking forward to seeing the improvements that you have done over the winter. We must meet up soon.

Nigel

Screenshot_20240225_111257_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.c749fbc4586e3eabd8b0ba7ee7b71647.jpg

P1060963.thumb.JPG.29d22826bcea541cd749b4c0a60f1fa5.JPG

Thanks Nigel do you remember that bit when I said electrical was my weakness ! Your in depth description and drawing has just terrified me. I have not even considered a relay ? My plan is ignition live through inertia switch and then straight to pump. Do I need a relay ? What is the function. ? Is it likely there is one unused in fuse box? Really looking forward to catching up with all of you this fuel  pump is my final hurdle bonnet is coming back from Bodyshop next week. Then it is  time to drive ! 

Fitting a relay is best practice, the main advantage is that the current drawn by the pump does not flow through the ignition switch. 

Do you have a spare relay ? Depends on what fuse box you have. If you have the Sierra fuse box then there might be a spare socket but you would need know which fuse feeds the socket and fit a 5 amp fuse. You then need access to the back of the fuse box to run a wire to the pump.  I fitted a small 4 way fuse box in the engine bay fed directly from the battery then used a spare wire that ran from the engine bay to the boot to feed the pump via the relay. The ignition fed supply will then activate the relay.

Hope this helps.