Exhaust Warning

Guest coopsuk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coopsuk

Hi

Seeing as I bought this subject up from my own concerns I have drawn up two Traffolye labels that I can get made for anyone who wants 1.

However they are on a word document with inbedded pictures and I can't seem to get it transferred on to this post so if anyone is interested in seeing them PM me and I will e-mail the file back to you. Unless I can send it to someone and they can attached it to this post

There is two types so far, 1 with yellow background with black text & 1 with white background and black text.

I have asked my usual supplier for a quote but it think these will be about £10 each. But may drop with quantity.

I'm also looking at the price for a 1mm brushed Stainless version with the information etch on to it. Which I will follow up if this is more of interest to people.

Aaron

I suspect it would be very difficult to defend against an action for damages for burns to a child from a hot exhaust, wether there is a warning label or not. May even harm your case to have a label as that admits knowledge of the hazard without taking steps to rectify it by fitting a guard.

Nigel

Guest Petemate

Agreed Nigel - this reminds me of the ridiculous situation that where a person clears snow from the path in front of their property, should someone walking past slip on the icy surface which can be left behind, that someone can sue, but if you leave it they have no come-back unless they can find a way of suing the creator of the snow.....

Pete

I would think that if you can't sue a bike for having a hot external exhaust, you can't sue a car for the same, especially as it is within the silhouette of the car, i.e the wings are the outside edge.

I did get pulled over some years ago for an exhuast that was perceived to be inadequately fixed. The Officer bent down and grasped the tail box firmly to demonstrate how wobbly it was, after his yell of pain i offered to get my first aid kit from the car, he declined and we carried on our journey. I did not get sued.

Guest chris brown

Whatever you do don’t admit to the exhaust being hot and as how it is within the external dimensions of the car you are safe but by advertising it is hot you are leaving yourself open to being sued as you were aware of the problem.

I think i agree Chris.

Lets not get too worried about litigation, if our cars have passed the SVA then in the eyes of the law we have complied.

Back to an earlier point, how do we protect people especially the very young against being singed by our exhuasts. If you are that worried then dont go shopping after a good thrash and if you do park in a public area park at the top end of the car parks with your exhuasts wall side.

Guest chris brown

Thanks Paul I thought it was just me who thought that if someone gets burnt or lets there sprog get burnt on my exhaust then they shouldn’t have been or let there child there in the first place, so hard look (sue me I'm broke anyway or at least will be before it comes to court) :p :p