#1 florin metal works

florin metal works

Hants & Dorset Area Secretary

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts
  • Car type:2B+

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

Flying Scotsman Part 2 & Car SOS --a Caterham -- who would have thought it possible.  Both at 21.00 so one will need the plus one button; enjoy.

#2 nelmo

nelmo

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 594 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Yup, I watched it - very interesting.

Would you expect a chassis to be that bad after 20 years? Would that chassis have been powder-coated (I couldn't tell from the program)? I'm guessing no as that might explain the state it was in and the fact it had reacted with the ally panels and corroded those as well.

#3 florin metal works

florin metal works

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

My worry was if they used the old chassis what did they do with all the old rivet holes & rivet tails?  Not much chance of drilling for the new panel fixings into the existing holes.

Will be like marbles in the bus luggage rack if the tails are in the box section.

#4 brumster

brumster

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,233 posts
  • Car type:Zero

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

If it helps people, Car SOS episode will be repeated on More 4 on March 12th, 0210hrs ;)

or it's here, for the new-age types....

http://www.channel4....emand/66156-008

Edited by brumster, 06 March 2018 - 11:22 AM.

#5 brumster

brumster

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

I like the way everyone jumped on the whole "head gasket" thing straight away, and there was nothing bloody wrong with it :) ! Some things never change....

#6 Andi

Andi

Visionary

• Area Secretary
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

I enjoyed that episode. I thought the chassis was nothing more than surface rust though, but one has to make a drama for entertainment.

GBS ZERO

"Don`t try, and you`ll never fail"

Homer Simpson

#7 brumster

brumster

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

Yeah it was a bit like that, wasn't it. Of all the chassis repairs Fuzz has had to do over the years, chopping out a bit of square section steel and putting some new in should be the least of his worries. I did laugh a bit when Tim came in and did the whole looking for the chassis number thing and then they both said convincingly for the camera it's the same chassis. "Honest, DVLA, it's totally the same chassis". :D

They *always* have to have a time pressure on the end of it too, don't they?

I noticed a nice shiney new exhaust manifold on there too, I suspect the car benefitted from an entire new set of dampers and springs by the look of things, plus a number of upgrades :). Looks like the engine had already had DVA "look" over it at some point.

#8 IanS

IanS

Wheely good builder!

• RHOCaR 18
  • 487 posts
  • Car type:exmo

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

Do wonder if DVA is still on this site.

#9 David S

David S

AKA "Hotwire"

• RHOCaR 18
  • 1,001 posts
  • Car type:Zero Zetec

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

I enjoyed it, but it was dumbed down for the entertainment value.  Personally I think the whole show is ruined by that Tim chap blagging parts and discounts.  I am sure the production company pays a fair rate for them, the rest is just to fill time.  I would much rather see the restoration work.   

#10 florin metal works

florin metal works

• Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Think yourself lucky David, speaking to T.V personalities who used our shop anything over half an hour was considered beyond the attention span of most.