Pinto Misfire

Pintogogo

Guest Ian & Carole

never had dizzy cap off, thanks will look at that, if it has points/condenser will a electronic dizzy replacement make much difference

Yes without a doubt, better starting and smoother running, virtually "fit and forget"

I fitted one of these to my Beauford 4 years ago and haven't had the cap off since.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWERSPARK-Electronic-Ignition-for-the-Bosch-distributor-Ford-Pinto-/360508348532?hash=item53eff8d874

I 100% agree fit an accuspark or similar unit if you are still running points but I'm not sure a misfire when off load as the revs drop is going to be spark related.

Can you describe the misfire in more detail. Popping/banging in the exhaust? Juddering through the transmission? Engine rocking violently? Does it do it if you change gear at 3000 rpm, 4000, 6000? Does the engine idle steadily? What sort of dizzy are you running? Particularly what vacuum connection/connections does the dizzy have?

Nigel

Engine idles steadily and it is a 'popping' in the exhaust (like a backfire), when the revs are dropped and then the accelerator pressed the engine pops for a second before picking up, I'm at work but i'll check vacuum connections and dizzy when i get home.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated

Edited by Pintogogo

I have same problem and i have new accuspark kit on..i have vacum in every inlet on bike carbs..at every chance i drop the gear to hear poping and banging in the exhaust..was told that pinto does that a bit..my s7 done it too..

But when i give her beans she goes and not popping or banging..love it :D

Thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated, I've been looking at accuspark kits on ebay (dizzy, coil, leads n plugs) and was wondering will one kit fit all as I think my dizzy is a Motorcraft one ( black dizzy cap, spring contact on top of black rotor arm), or are there kits to replace Bosch and Motorcraft separately?