Pinto Misfire

Pintogogo

I think my dizzy is a Motorcraft one ( black dizzy cap, spring contact on top of black rotor arm)

Then you also have a ally box which is an ESC11 unit and the only vacuum pipe is to this. Usually found with a DFTH carb, the one with the stepper motor throttle stop control. That dizzy is electronic but advance is programmed via the ESC module as is engine idle speed. You will have to get a replacement dizzy not just an add in module. Throttle stop can be adjusted and left fixed. Still don't think that is your popping problem. That's unburnt excess fuel in the exhaust due to snap throttle closure and it ignites often due to a small air leak in the exhaust providing a bit of oxygen for the bang. Fairly standard feature on our cars. You can stop it often by going over the exhaust carefully and sealing it. Hole is sometimes at the 4 into 1 joint which is difficult to close when making it.

Nigel

post-21-0-24251500-1440186068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Paint 2 for windows 7. Useless program but last time I downloaded a copy of the original paint I spent the next few hours cleaning viruses out of the computer. Thats an old pic of a 2:1 Y piece I fiddled to show the point.

Anyone know where I can find a clean download of the original paint or can I just pinch it off my old XP hard disc?

Nigel

Just copied mspaint.exe mspaint.chm and mspaint.hlp from the update folder in I3** folder from my old computer to a USB. Stuck them in the programfiles(x86) folder in win7. Shortcut to mspaint.exe on the desktop and now I have both. Help works also. Woohoo

Edited by Longboarder

I like the burble and little pops, although by the sound of it you are getting a bit more than a little burble. As above air leaks or too much fuel or both are my guess.

I believe (could well be wrong) the length of the exhuast is also a cause of popping. Our exhausts tend to be a fair bit shorter than a production car, have no baffles and often just one silencer rather than 2 plus an expansion area on some systems. So not overly surprising more noises get out.

Is your tail pipe particularly sooty? or the plugs?

• Like 1

pops and bangs a lot with a webber on and bike carbs a little bit less

my carb knowledge ain't great but is it because the bike carbs are variable venturi rather than fixed? perhaps better at controlling excess fuel on the overrun?

I lot of people seem to be saying bike carbs are better for fuel over webbers so assuming both are setup correctly there must be a time when the webbers are putting that bit extra fuel through.

Might be completely off the mark but just wondering :)