Series 3a Stress Cracks

series3

Hi all,

We have just noticed some stress cracks on our Series 3 on the top just behind the nose cone. I have searched the site for any info, but not sure on what i need to search to get the answers we want. We basically want to know what ppl have done to solve this problem.

We have been told to re-weld the seam, but my dad thinks it would be better to bolt a plate over the weld aswell??

Not got my 3 on the road yet but am aware of the stress fracture issues and intend to get the whole lot welded up with front and rear suspension mods as done by Bill once SVA'd.

Keep me busy in the winter months.

I will have stainless plates welded on as i think bolts would not tie the whole lot together enough and just cause stress in a different areas.

Will also consider plates on the vertical inside faces as well as the top.

To conclude.... dress and reweld the seams with the apropriate welding rod then plate over with stainless as thick or even a little thicker subject to welding tolerances, i.e. welding 2 different thicknesses together, be generouse with the size of the plates as the stresses are now being taken by the new welds.

My Series 3 has been on the road for 10 years and done over 18,000 miles and I have not discovered any cracks yet. Maybe it is just down to how good the particular welder was who welded up the monocoque in the factory. I assume that they were welded by hand and not by machines.

10 years and done over 18,000 miles

Neil you need to get out more! I have done twice your mileage in 10 years but Stephen King has done 12,000 in his first year! Back to point my Mk1 has had cracks in the rear corners of the engine bay floor but were welded a few years ago and have been fine since (keeps fingers crossed) The cracks start at places with high stress, sharp corners, areas with poor bends and torn material. Dont go too mad with big plates as the cracks will probably start next to them, the area next to the welds will be softer.

Peter

ps. isn't this in the wrong forum?