Just Wondering?

Guest yokel

My Father was a Speedway Rider, so two wheels are in the blood.

Prior to being old enough to be on the road:

NSU Quickly for the field (I was only 12!), ex Post Office 150cc Bantam

Teenage and 20's - Moto-X. Greeves, Kawasaki and a couple of Yamahas (all 250cc).

Then, on the road:

Honda CG125 (for the CBT and Test) Yes Ian, like yours. I remember it well! Yamaha RD250, Honda CBX550

.. Then a long lay off.

Honda CB350S, Honda CBR600, Honda Dominator 600

The last two both crashed and written off - NOT MY FAULT!

Walked away from the first and got ambulanced away from the second. I got the message.

My Hood is now my bike, but I still miss them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never had a road bike but was a trials biker as a youngster. Started with a 1976 Yamaha TY80 and got up to a twin shock 1980 Yamaha TY175 in the end.

This sat in the garage unused for 10 years and one day a few years ago decided to put some 2 stroke mix in and it started 2nd kick!! Tidied it up and sold it for £400 about 5 years ago but wished I'd kept it as the classic twin shocks are appreciating in value. An old school friend bought my old TY80 and still has it in a shed, not been used for 20+ years!!

Rode a mates Motocross Yamaha YZ 250 once, absolutely lunatic, I sware it was quicker than the Hood in a straight line!!

What a lovely bike the S7 was, and that one looks super! very advanced for its time. My cousin bought one with a side car when we were about 15, I think it was £12 and we used to ride it (without the chair) on a green lane by his house. Dropped it one day and had to walk a long way home to get his dad to help us lift it up again.

Been riding since I was 16, had the usual FS1E AP50, borrowed a GS125 for the test then

got a CBX750, had about 30 bikes since then but my favourite is probably my current bike

1981 GPZ1100 monoshocked with a JMC swingarm, upside downies and GSXR wheels and

brakes, stops and handles well and still looks like a proper muscle bike.

Husqvarna SMR610 is a very close second favourite.

Allan

Edited by SMR610

Been riding since I was 16, had the usual FS1E AP50, borrowed a GS125 for the test then

got a CBX750, had about 30 bikes since then but my favourite is probably my current bike

1981 GPZ1100 monoshocked with a JMC swingarm, upside downies and GSXR wheels and

brakes, stops and handles well and still looks like a proper muscle bike.

Husqvarna SMR610 is a very close second favourite.

Allan

How's the Chassis on the z11?

JMC should strenghten up the rear end but my old 750 Turbo was like a wobble board under hard, high speed cornering.

I know the 750 and 900 chassis were the same but don't know about the 11?

I really loved that bike. If you could live with the suicidal handleing, it was just like riding a manic 750 2 stroke :D Bloody scarey though :crazy:

I started at 15 with a Lambretta scooter, it threw me off for no apparent reason so got sold straight away!

Honda 50 sports. Mother wouldn't let me have anything bigger, hated bikes!)

BSA 250cc C15, Never actually rode this one, got knocked off the honda the day before I was supposed to do the swap at the dealers.

........ along came a spell of 3 wheer car ownership, BMW Isetta, and Bond mincar...........

BSA 250cc Starfire. Blew up 2 engines in that! (claimed under g/tee)

BSA 600cc M21 sidecar outfit. Generally abused that, knackered up 3 sidecar chassis with "excessive" cornering forces. Plus rolling it, bike over car.

BSA 500cc DBD34 Goldstar Cafe racer. THE bike of the era. (some good stories attached to that bike!)

Triumph 650cc sidecar outfit. Had to go when the Mrs couldn't fit on the pillion due to the bulge in her belly, she wouldn't ride in the sidecar.

............... a few years of car only ownership followed..................

Kawasaki 250 trail bike. For playing on and going to work. (Cart-wheeled that down a few hills!)

Yamaha 600cc shaft drive, 4cyl. Excellent bike.

Yamaha 250cc twinshock trails bike. i found out that I can only balance on 2 wheels if I'm moving forwards at 5mph at least! Dougie Lampkin I'm not!

Yamaha FJ1100cc. The ultimate Sports tourer of the day, smashing bike, until I managed to plant it half way through a mini (Didn't see you type driver!)

......................though my biking years were over, nearly ALL my years in fact..............................

Honda 50ccDAX Monkey bike for transport around the race tracks when marshaling. (This still in the Garage)

BSA M20 500cc, 1942 WW2 bike. (In my garage, will be going to Normandy again this year with it)

post-51-1234022243_thumb.jpg

Guest Paul Morgan

All my bikes have been for off road in the past, including Honda C90, XL 125, CG 125, KX 125 and have still a 1988 KDX200 in the garage that I go off roading with my two oldest kids on their little Italian jobs.

For my 40th last December I convinced my Wife to pay for my test so I can finally ride on the road legally.

Got my Theory test on wednesday 11th Feb, CBT on 21st and Direct access on the 27th. Looking at buying a mid 90's CBR600F to potter around on after that. (Nothing too mental as I can already see here eyeing up the life insurance)

Paul

Guest Charles B

Off road bikes when young. Finally took my test last year ( bloody difficult, should have done it years ago)

Now have a Chang Jiang 750cc sidevalve with sidecar. Great fun, especially in the snow!

Never had a road bike but was a trials biker as a youngster. Started with a 1976 Yamaha TY80 and got up to a twin shock 1980 Yamaha TY175 in the end.

This sat in the garage unused for 10 years and one day a few years ago decided to put some 2 stroke mix in and it started 2nd kick!! Tidied it up and sold it for £400 about 5 years ago but wished I'd kept it as the classic twin shocks are appreciating in value. An old school friend bought my old TY80 and still has it in a shed, not been used for 20+ years!!

Rode a mates Motocross Yamaha YZ 250 once, absolutely lunatic, I sware it was quicker than the Hood in a straight line!!

I have a Ty175 in the garage.Havent used it for a couple of years but owned it for about 20.Its an old 70's twin shock.Would never get rid of it even though it just sits there.Mud,puddles and steep hills for me none of that road bike stuff.

Andy

How's the Chassis on the z11?

JMC should strenghten up the rear end but my old 750 Turbo was like a wobble board under hard, high speed cornering.

I know the 750 and 900 chassis were the same but don't know about the 11?

I really loved that bike. If you could live with the suicidal handleing, it was just like riding a manic 750 2 stroke :D Bloody scarey though :crazy:

Frame is different mines a B1 so was originally twin shock, for an old dinosaur the handling is excellent although to be honest I don`t push it

to it`s limits, my age and the scars from my last smash tend to slow me down abit.

Allan