Winter Project - Better Weather Protection?

richyb66

Inside the roof the joins between the individual panels look like this – 30mm wide strips of 1mm sheet with double rows of countersunk rivets. The protrusion of the rivets doesn't matter, they're nowhere where I'll bash my head and I plan to line the inside of the roof with carpet to keep the drumming down:

175.jpg

A length of 10mm tube was added across the inside of the frame to provide additional support to the frame corners:

176.jpg

The inside of the window frame had edging made so that a seal could be fitted, it was made from 4 corner pieces shaped like this so the seal can form the corner easily and 4 straight pieces in between the corners:

177.jpg

Seal fits thus:

178.jpg

At the top I need a pair of hinges. The window will be a piece of 3mm clear polycarbonate and I'll paint a blackout area around the edge of it so that the seal will be hidden and the visible opening will be rectangular with rounded corners:

179.jpg

Swan neck hinges are needed to clear the seal. These were cut out of some I section ally extrusion I had lying around. This is the closed position:

180.jpg

and here it is open:

181.jpg

More pictures to follow……

How much to do another one? mower man :80:

Never again! I'm keeping a rough total of what it's costing and I'll post that when it's finished but I'm not remotely keeping track of how long it's taking because I'm not the fastest worker and taking it steady can often save doing jobs twice.

Utter genius & top skills!

Out of interest do you have plans to paint it or leave it natural?

I had a few options for the finish:

1.Leave it natural - this would mean a lot of metal finishing around the corners of the roof for it to look decent and not leak so this isn't an option unless I want to spend a lot more time sorting the finish and sealing all the rivets.

2.Paint it - this was a possibility but again I'd need to do a lot of prep to get a paint standard finish and I don't think a painted finish would be durable enough to take the knocks it will undoubtably get when the roof is removed and stored.

3. Vinyl wrap - similar to paint really, probably more durable but due to the size of the roof, I'd probably need to have it professionally fitted.

4. Vinyl material - this is currently looking favourite. It's durable, will hide surface imperfections well and I can trim the lower halves of the doors to match.

Erm, I think I'll pass on that one. Apart from the obvious stuff like every 2B chassis is different and no 2 cars have the screen in the same place - laying up firbeglass is messy and smelly!

However, if you're looking to get rich quick - I think this might still be available:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=27266

• 1 month later...

Ok, the decorating in the dining room is finished and the lpg issue with the Audi is now (hopefully) sorted so I’m back running with the hardtop.

As a quick refresher, I’d got the main panels rivetted in place to the framework so I made a start on tidying up the joins and smoothing the metalwork out. Firstly, I tack welded some of the corner joints in between the panels. It’s difficult to get the rivets close to the corners so a tack of weld should stop any movement between the pieces as the roof flexes.

182.jpg

At the front of the roof, a soft disc was used on the angle grinder to smooth things out. I'll need to use a skim of filler here and there but it’ll be easy to get a good enough finish for the vinyl I’m planning to cover the roof with.

183.jpg

185.jpg