Theducks Build To Date In (Not So) Brief (Anymore)

theduck

GBS told me to bolt the diff up rigid to the boot floor to stop flexing and splitting the floor. I bought a poly mount from FloFlex and used that to give me some isolation. The one I bought had cosmetic faults but was sound and was half price.

GBS told me to bolt the diff up rigid to the boot floor to stop flexing and splitting the floor. I bought a poly mount from FloFlex and used that to give me some isolation. The one I bought had cosmetic faults but was sound and was half price.

I'm glad you've said that as i was having the same thoughts and so will give with a solid mount, which I was 99% of the way to doing anyway n

Guest 2b cruising

It looks to me that the prop you've taken off has been to long.

They are meant to ride 2/3 rds in when on car at ride hight.

That one has been using all of the sliding joint and could have lead to your difficult removal, drive joint faults, diff mount faults and a noisy driveline.

It's good that you have a new prop to put in. If it's from another Robin, length should be good.

Worth a check on the 2/3rds maximum when new fitted and rear wheels are taking the cars weight.

I'm glad you've said that as i was having the same thoughts and so will give with a solid mount, which I was 99% of the way to doing anyway n

Engine is on rubber mounts & so is rear suspension; so why bolt the diff direct to the body? Although will be great, the additional noise generated.

Guest 2b cruising

Dry or direct mount to thin gauge metal more prone to split the metal than a correctly rubber dampened joint.

+ as Florin says, the noise level will increase and not a nice noise at that.

Sorry I don't mean an actual solid mounting, just the replacement kit is described as a solid mount and you then have option of solid, poly or nylon inserts.

If I could source a new OE, or a replacement rubber or poly bush for the original I would do that. Only going after market because unless I fit used it is my only option.

Edited by theduck

Guest 2b cruising

I don't think it would be quite that easy.

It might be easier to find they required bush shape first and design metalwork around that.

The correct type of bushing material is important too.

Edited by 2b cruising