Checklist

WallerZ

Hi all,

I'm getting close to having the kit at the rolling chassis stage (just waiting delivery on a few parts), could people roll off a few things they'd expect to be done prior to dropping the chassis down off the build stands that should be complete on a rolling chassis?

Just want a bit of clarification to make sure I've not missed something simple.

Cheers,

Zach

As per Nicks advise.

Just make sure you have done as much as possible in advance to avoid having to work at a low level. Do as much trial fitting of parts so that it makes it easier when fully fitted.

Basic list would be:

Brake lines

Fuel lines

Steering column and linkage

Steering rack

Electrics/ loom

Tunnel covers

Handbrake

Wheel hubs/ Brakes/ Suspension

Floor

Body panels

Seats (very least trial fit)

Pedal box

Fuel tank

Rear diff

Propshaft/ gearbox

Basically the more you do now at a decent working height, the less pain on the back... 8)

True, I suppose my back will thank me in 30 years haha! Just wanting to make sure I've not missed some things that are easier done higher up.....feel like I'm missing things/forgotten bits....

Guest iank

The main things are to make sure you've done everything that needs a large tool:

e.g. have you done all the riveting you're gonna do underneath, do you need to drill any more holes for the nose cone or for the diffuser bracket , if you're fitting one

There will always be something you have to reach underneath for, so long as its just a socket or spanner you'll get away with it.

Do everything you can while its on stands. It may be a good feeling getting it on the floor but working at such low level so much is a pain even for me and i think I fit into the young builders category (well under 30 anyway!)

Guest peter2b2002

wimps ,when I built my 2B (50 years old,mid life thingy) all i had was carpet on the floor no build stands just a trolly jack

peter2b

wimps ,when I built my 2B (50 years old,mid life thingy) all i had was carpet on the floor no build stands just a trolly jack

peter2b

And I bet the wind blew summat fierce through the cardboard box you called a garage; Me?? had to park two wheels on the pavement so I could crawl underneath; was O.K except in the rain.

Hmm, sounds like there are a few more things I should do before hand. I guess Richard is right about the milestone, thats what I guess I was aiming for. The few things I still have to do before hand, just wanted to drop the car to rolling chassis and drop the engine in all in a day/weekend as I'll have to borrow a engine crane again. Sounds like everything, personal preference haha.

Cheers for all the input guys :)

Peter you have the luxury of carpet! Nothing but painted concrete here

I don't even have paint! Just water if we've had some heavy rain! :(

Guest iank

Zach,

Not sure if it helps your decision but....

I built my entire Zero on the stand I built for it, including fitting the engine and gearbox. The only thing not fitted when I took it off was the dash.

I guess it depends on how much you trust your stands to take the weight, but a Zero isn't that heavy.

Not sure about the Mazda chassis but the ford chassis has a short bar that connects the tunnel sides just in front the the gear lever.

The entire car can be lifted by the bar with an engine crane and suitable strap ( and someone to push down on the rear to counter balance the engine..

Not saying its right for you but its an option. If you do go for it make sure:

a) your engine crane can take the weight when extended

B) you have room at the side to get it in and out

c) you have 4 * 4" blocks to drop it down onto so you can get the crane out ( I used 4 caravan levelers )

Ian

Guest Ian & Carole

Zach

Obvious but........... before you do drop it down wether now or later have a final run around with spanners and put a spot of paint / tipex on every checked nut and bolt.

Final check on diff / gearbox oil all common sense but easy to miss the odd nut and bolt.

Yeah my stands have a listed weight of 450kg, don't fancy testing that one! I'll need to drop it down to get the engine/gearbox in anyway, possibly even rolling it out the garage to do so...it will be an interesting feat nonetheless!

Who would have thought that getting it off the axle stands would be the hardest part yet!?!