Anonymous Part Fell Off On Corner!

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Hi all, I am new to the site having bought my first hood last month, am loving it and looking forward to meeting lots of members soon, my name is dan and I live in Brancaster Staithe.

As I was driving the hood today I went around a slow left hand corner and heard a clunk sound, looked behind be and saw a part rolling into the hedge, I dug it out and it is a bell shaped piece of steel about 5inches round with a bolt going through (covered in grease/oil)

The only place I can find under the car where I may have come from is a rectangular box behind the gearbox in which there is a threaded hole where the bolt fits perfectly, is this where a gearbox mount should be?, if so I'm sot sure if the bell should just go straight in and tighten up or if I'm missing a part?

The car still drives fine but have crawled home and put her away for the night

It is a 2.0 pinto with a 5 speed box

Any input on this would be much appreciated

Kit Cars bits can will and do fall off thats all part of the fun. Think of it as losing weight and adding speed :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

on a serious note lock tight is you friend as is a look over and spanner check

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Brilliant, many thanks for the help!

I'll get out there after work tomorrow and get it put back on! Probably explains the 'bounce I have noticed through the gear stick!

Thanks again

If it's been loose for a while it would also be worth checking the UJ's on the prop, especially the one at the gearbox end. More than likely all fine but worth a check mate.

Your thinking of the drive shafts from the diff to the wheels. They're with checking also, just for play or splits in the boots as you mention.

I'm referring to the prop shaft from the gear box to the diff, these don't have rubber boots.

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Ahh yea! I'm with you, thanks, ill check them too!

It drip a little bit of oil in the garage (not sure if its normal) so will be getting her up on some ramps ASAP to check everything is in order, it's not dripping much but definitely fresh oil every time I get her out!?

Welcome. Is it a pinto engine? It's not a pinto if it doesn't leak oil!

The idea of the bell shaped washer is that if the bush fails, or in an accident, the gearbox is prevented from moving too far and causing damage / injury.

oil drip check front crank seal I thought my leak was the sump gasket I changed it twice then realised it was the crank seal not a small job either rad out and timing belt off.hth :crazy:

Guest alfaGTA

This yoke?

$(KGrHqN,!lEFCfgD8glLBQsL0MpB!g~~60_35.JPG

Welcome to the club, might be worth your while replacing the rubber gearbox mount whilst you are in that area.....

An oily pinto is a perfectly healthy engine :rofl:

Some say my oily pinto slick leaves other track users at a disadvantage due to lack of traction-I believe i'm a better driver =@

Guest Daniel N Sharman

Yea that's the kiddy!, I guess it just screws into the square rubber recess under the car,

I'm gonna get me some thread lock and sort it next weekend (I'm away this week otherwise would be out in it!)

Thanks again for all the help