Jubilee Clips Vs T-Bolt Clamps

richardm6994

I'd like to know peoples opinion on which is better....good quality worm drive clamps (i.d. Jubilee) or t-bolt clamps.

I realise both should provide adequate clamping force on my coolant pipes, however after this weekends performace I would like to use the best clamps avalible.

As I understand it....

Jubilee clips give a more even clamping force

T Bolt clamps provide greater clamping force and are 50% wider.

I also understand it is easy to overtighten a t-bolt clamp and distort the tube.

So given the choice....what would be peoples personal preferences be to use on radiator hoses?

Jubilee clips every time - how tight does a hose need to be? Most OEMs use the flat spring type clips now that only have a set amount of tension built on them and they're hardly any wider than a Jubille clip and they seem to hold without any problems.

I used T bolts on my build, but have removed virtually all of them to replace with jubilee clamps, reason being they leaked on each point a Silicon hose connected to a joiner pipe, joiner pipes were polished stainless supplied by the manufacturer, the only ones left are on the water pump and radiator top and bottom hose now...

I think the narrower profile allows the silicon hose to grip better on the s/s..

Cheers

Tony.R

Agree with Alan about beaded fittings, also think you should investigate what is causing hose to come off.

Is the system over pressurising because of an airlock or a high pressure cap? Fitting bigger stronger clips may only mask a problem until another hose pops in spectacular fashion

Hi,

Not sure if the hose coming off was from my post, or theres a bit of the story Im missing :) , but just in case mine are beaded and the hoses didn't blow off, just had a dribble leak from the clamped hose, it is a pressurised system and would leak after being run upto temp, put away in garage, next day pink puddle on floor.

I notice the same Q on locost and someone linked to a file on there which , I think, showed exactly what was happening with my T bolt clamps , leakage came from the area under the bolt...

Did think the t bolt clamps looked better tho' :)

Cheers

Tony.R

Can't say i've ever had a problem with jubilee clips - just make sure to use good quality ones, otherwise they tend to strip when tightened.

I've decided on buying genuine jubilee clips instead of t bolt clamps.

My reason is that the jubilee clips have a 10mm clamping range so I can keep some as spares for a number of different size hoses whereas the t bolt clamps only have a 3mm clamping range.

I'm sure that these will be fine as my hose blew off not becasue the clip failed, but becasue I had wiped silicon sealant inside the hose before fitting it (the silicon sealant didn't stick to the silicon hose and so it actually helped the hose to slip off).

• Like 1