Driving With The Top On!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

Hello

Can I drive my Robin Hood with the roof on and no doors? Or will it get ripped to bits with the wind?

I'm only asking as a precaution in case it rains really hard on the way to the national meet. Or should I just take my waterproofs and a helmet?

I am still a Newbie after all!!!!!

And I do struggle to get in with the bloody doors on 😳

And I do struggle to get in with the bloody doors on

YES - its an art, however you really need to practice where no-one can see you.

Initially it took me about 7 to 8 mins to get in and fasten up.

I'm proud to say that I can now achieve that in a shade under 5 minutes now :rofl: :rofl:

getting in with the roof and doors on is a bit like the hokie cokie,, you put your left leg in then swing the upper half of your body in and over to the passenger side, then bring in your right leg, just warn your passenger before you head butt them mitch

I've tried to drive my Zero with just the roof ( full hood - not Surry) without doors and it definitely feels like its trying to pull itself off. ( oo err)

Why not put the doors on and carry the roof just in case.. Its definitely a knack getting in and out but at least you'll only have to actually do it if it rains.

And don't forget to keep a cloth handy....

Even newbies have to start somewhere :-)

Guest Alan_builder

i can do 70+ in my 2B with a surrey top on when going to Le Mans with and with out doors

peter2b

Was that going to collect your petrol cap left at Rouen? I seem to remember the + being 25.

Now come on lads, give it to him in the face, opps Rod got it in the face, water that is.

There are lots of variables with hoods and doors and surreys and mudguards fitted. In general the gull wings tend to give lift to the car and in the wet 60 may be all you will want to do. Again the gull wings tend to feed water up to the cockpit so the outside 1/3 of driver or passenger tend to get - wet - for want of a better word, water is chucked in ones face. I believe Peter and Rod both have gull wings, shame. I have my own design and the water stays outside, it is also easier to get in as the doors are longer.

Hood and doors for me.

I do remember stopping on the road to Rouen to put the top on and a fleet of 10 lorries came by. As you will know often the continental road has 2 ruts where the lorry wheels run. These tend to fill up with water, when it rains hard these ruts fill up between lorries in a convoy tailgating each other. Net result 10 lorries 10 cold showers, or should I say keel haulings. I came out nearly drowned and the car was full!

If you need the roof on due to rain you will also need the doors as it will feel as if the rain is being sucked in

Full hood without doors will pull the rear poppers off or rip the hood

If you had a zipped rear window opening that would allow the hood to survive but again with the doors off in rain you will get wet

Conversely with doors off and no roof most of the wet will pass over, this I can confirm both with my kit car and when I had a Triumph Spitfire

I have a Surrey & side windscreen deflectors...so long as you are moving we remain completely dry regardless of how

hard the downpour is. I never take the full hood anywhere, & rarely take the doors, just a lightweight car topper cover for parking.

The wind does come in the sides, but I guess raindrops are heavier, & just get blown past.

HTH Bob

The knack gettingin is to to make sure you beat your passenger in!!