Super Computer

speedtripledan

I would go for something with a decent 'scratch disk', that being where you store all your temporary video files while you're cutting it together. If you really are 'going for it' on the spec, maybe even run 2 SSDs and 1 hard drive. Say a 100GB for the OS, a 256GB for the scratch device, and then obviously a pretty large conventional drive to store the raw footage on (1TB+).

Otherwise the usual spec should do - 8GB ram at least, multi-core CPU and a middle-end graphics card.

A mac has been able to take loads of ram years I have 20gig at work where windows has only just allowed more than 4 gig.

A mate has just left the video editing profestion and they went bac to MAC

not an I mac but a tower have a look on ebay

Stephen

To be honest Dan the question is really more about the software you will be using to edit (assuming that's what you want to do) your videos.

Before spending money on hardware have a look at the editing software that available. For hi quality slick professional video editing I would agree with the concensus so far that a Mac wins handsdown. BUT you may actually find a perfectly suitable editing package for the machine you have now.

All depends if you want to pay over the odds for your software or get it free and spend in on the hardware or you could pay over the odds for the hardware and software. I know what I would do but it all depends on what you a use to using/ ease of use.

I use serious mac stuff at work with the full Adobe creative suite but have bought a cheap second hand Mac mini for home, later 2011 upwards models will take 8Gb+

Even the simple iLife with iMovie, iTunes, iDVD will deliver a great product

I am in the middle of putting together a video from the Normandy trip. I am using iMovies on a Mac for the first time and I am finding it very straight forward to use. The footage comes from my GoPro hero Silver, a Sony Handycam filming in HD and some stills.

As an option, there is GoPro's own editing suite that would work on windows and that also seems fairly simple to use.