My New Ikea Exhaust Build

agent_zed

• 6 months later...

so can't believe that its taking so long to get this on and working but just starting to get the manifold together.

t8rpqx.jpg

My problem at the moment is that i haven't got the tubes equal length so my question is... how important is it that they are equal. I'm assuming that would be the ultimate setup but what will be the effect of having them unequal. Will i still see a significant improvement over the ford cast manifold? or should i put time into making them equal?

thanks

P.S before anyone says i realise i'm missing a pipe :)

Edited by agent_zed

My reaction is that it will lower the peak and spread it a bit.

But as we are already running something like the 5th to 7th harmonic it wil make little difference in practice as what you lost in the peak you will almost gain in the slighty wider power band.

cool thanks so sounds like it'll be better just to get them on and running than worry too much about equal lengths. My engine is far from performance anyway so i guess it shouldn't matter.

Hopefully just a bit more power than from the cast pinto mani going into the RH twin pipe. The curves on the mani i'm making are much smoother and it will be 4-1 and the exhaust box is a straight through and quite a bit longer than the RH one.

Got to pack the exhaust soon. Bought a sheet of wadding to go round the perf tube then i think i'll try packing with rockwool and see how i get on. It's re-packable so can replace whenever.

thanks

p.s Florin that exhaust does look cool worth the few horses i reckon. Saw your car at Exeter show nice work.

i've gone for a shortish 4-1 as i only want a single pipe to exit the car rather than try and work all of the pipes out through the side panel.

Can't remember which harmonic number it is but i think it was the one around 16inches. had tried to make them all equal but its pretty hard to do.

Was the RH stainless 4-1 anywhere near equal out of interest?

Guest mower man

The RH 4into2 into 1only had one pipe exiting the side panel I have an old one some where I'll dig it up and measure if it helps mower man

The primary, secondary if 4-2-1 diameters and lengths plus collector including pipe to can are specific to cam timing, bore and are influenced by inlet manifold length

When I researched the manifold for my engine build with RL31 cam the original 4-1 exhaust manifold that came with the S3a was near perfect so I just had the collector pipe widened and matched to my Paul Gooderham exhaust

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone for a 4 into 1 and tried to get all pipes the same length before the collector. It's also a wider bore than the standard GBS models.

It's only a temporary exhaust (so will probably have it years) and exits under the chassis which I'm not too happy about but it's no lower than the sump.

Im not sold on the over the chassis models and would prefer a mid side exit but that's something I'm working on; just like everything else :)

I've gone for a 4 into 1 and tried to get all pipes the same length before the collector. It's also a wider bore than the standard GBS models.

It's only a temporary exhaust (so will probably have it years) and exits under the chassis which I'm not too happy about but it's no lower than the sump.

Im not sold on the over the chassis models and would prefer a mid side exit but that's something I'm working on; just like everything else :)

How's that working for you? more power/response etc?

I agree I have never liked the over chassis design, where you have to cut the bonnet. Whilst I paid a lot of money for the bespoke exhaust, its brilliant and worth every penny. Ashleys exhaust in Birmingham, actually threw out the first manifold because one of the primaries were not the right length.

post-4145-0-83986900-1401134191_thumb.jpg post-4145-0-56053200-1401134213_thumb.jpg

How's that working for you? more power/response etc?

Will let you know when I get back to Blighty.

Was a couple of weeks away from finishing a complete overhaul when work raised it's ugly head and I'm stuck in Europe for 70 days with no chance of Parole.

Will be back on the case at the end of July so OTR in Mid August (I hope)