Newbie Help

Nicola Roberts

Right me and hubby brought a 2b the weekend :-) its needs some tlc to get it back on the road but we are very happy but we have a few questions can anyone help.

Question 1 - Can we fit 13” super-light racing wheels on the Robin Hood and can anybody recommend where from and what type? it currently has 14s normal wheels on but the steering is really heavy was hoping this change may help a bit.

Question 2 – Any advice on change from single carb to twin carbs on a 2.0l pinto engine?

Question 3 – Recommend any motorsport retailers (links etc…)

Think thats it for 5 mins

Thank you

Hello Nikki, welcome, The wheels probably won't make much difference it is probably due to the suspension geometry, also it depends what you are used to driving!

Do you know if it is a sliding pillar or wishbone suspension? Look at this site to help find out what you have, http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm . You will get lots of opinions on here about carbs, if the engine is standard then you may not get much improvement depending what is already fitted. Try going to your local meetings you will find you will be welcomed and overwhelmed with ideas!

Guest mower man

Hi Nikki did you post on another forum [ph] a while ago? Wheel choice is a big can of worms just going to 13 inch wheels may not make a big difference ,a steering geometry check may find issues which will help , tyre pressures are also a big factor I,m sure your choice will be a good one but a lot run on 14 and 15 even up to 17 inch my personal view is that 15 's are the max, like wise tyre sizes are a factor if only price wise .I run 15 x6.5 wheels wirh 205x 50 15 tyres at 18 psi and find it ok for me others will vary . Carbs are another mine field a lot depends on health of the engine and whether any other tuning has been carried out i.e. cylinder head mods ,performance cam etc bike carbs are popular as are a pair of webers , but putting a pair of big carbs on a standard engine will be disapointing to say the least . Suppliers run from very helpful to people who will just take your money and not offer any thing like service ,bigger names are usually the best , Burton Car, Builder supplies , Gbs are all good others can be expensive I,E demon tweaks just be very carefull . Find your local RH area and go along to a couple of meetings ,ask afew questions ,we are a freindly bunch and you can look at other cars ,I hope this helps and I'm sure others will post thier own ideas :clapping: mower man [ mick ]

Just checked its a sliding pillar to be fair it only gone from the trailer into the garage and it stopped running ( battery dead) we only brought it yesterday so cant really say if any of the normal options like tyre pressure ect as waiting for the batter to charge as we speak :-)

We are just making a very big list of the things we want to do and need to do as its has no MOT at the min and being left standing for a few years although it started first time and sounds great. Hubby joined the club last night and we are looking forward to getting a chance to meet some other people and im sure our list will get even longer

Hi Nikki ... I have a Mk III but probably similar to what you've bought. If you want to come and check out how 'heavy' my steering is to compare you'll be very welcome.

I live in Wylde Green ... just down the road from you.

Alan

Guest Ian & Carole

2 b sliding pillar wont allow 13" wheels, you will find that the clearance of the suspension even with the 14" is to say close is being kind.

Most of us suffered with the bottom bolt gouging a grove in the inner face of the wheel.

You would be better off looking at 15"

Looks more like sliding pillar that has had surgury and wishbones attached we need more of a close up nikki

Carb. Is sticking with 2ltr. A 38 degas in good order jetted to suit is good for 135-140 bhp more than that and your looking at cams and decent head work

Mitch