Zero Drive Shafts Help Required?

keith kelly

Ok rebuilt rear suspension swapping hub carriers over as builder had them on the wrong side. Gone to re fit the drive shaft that came out of this side and the bolt holes dont line up? I can get two oposites in but the other 2 wont go though the carrier and are about 2 or 3 mm out?

its late so sorry if being dum. Surely the hole pattern is the same left to right? Or do I need to swap everything round?

Very confused?

The notched carrier was on passenger side checked with gbs as they are handed.

Bearing carrier hole pattern is different N/S to O/S.

why do you think hub carriers were wrong side?

If the hole pattens are different i assume he had the drive shafts the wrong way round too. I put them back on the same side they came out.

So if i swap drive shafts over it should all line up? Would I also need to swap the drum base plate?

Think you need to rotate things until everything lines up. Seem to remember this being discussed before.

HTH

Nick

Correct if bearing carrier is upside down they are way out. But mine are only a couple of mm.

Drive shafts are different lengths and can be removed from hubs

Drive shaft hub nuts are handed and should be on the correct sides, these are designed to not undo as you accelerate away

Some hub nuts have small slot over the shoulder or dots to show left hand thread

Edited by Snapperpaul

Nut with the left hand thread 'cuts' is on the left hand side/passenger side on my car along with the left hand thread driveshaft, hub carrier, brake backplate, drum etc. It makes sense to have all the bits from one side on that same side together in the kitcar.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Ok had a look and it is the drum brake back plate that is the issue. It looks to be the same as others with cylinder at back an hadbrake cable at top but holes dont line up with gbs hub carrier. If I swap them over left to right the handbrake cable would be coming in from the bottom? which I beleive is wrong.

Can the cable be relocated?

Ok got things to line up but the brakes would only go on with the cylinder at the front, is this going to be an issue or does it not matter. They would have been on top on the donor. The donor was a 1600 so brake drums are the smaller ones

My break cyclinder are on the front of the back plate and not on the top. It was impossible for me to line up the back plate with the wholes in the hub carrier when the back plate had the cyclinders at the top. I guess if you put the carriers on the other side you will en dup with the cycinders at the back but I saw no advantage to that. My car drives and stops well and past the IVA last month.

I'd be interested if anyone has found a way to fit t he back plate in the normal way. I guess you could drill new holes.

Pete