Tips And Tricks Thread

Andi

A few from me:

> Before drilling panels, place a backup block of wood under the hole to be drilled to add support to the metal structure.

> Rivets should be spaced at intervals not less than 31⁄2 times the rivet diameter.

> Rivets should not be installed less than 2 or more than 4 times the rivet diameter from the edge of a panel.

Cheers

Nige

• Like 1

oh yeah visit your plumbing dept. I've a good few bits of copper pipe used for the cooling system. Use a t piece and a bleed valve at the top of the system and its dead easy to get the air out when you drain and re-fill your rad.

kitchen depts also good for stainless parts. My new exhaust uses 2 stainless ikea bowls for the end caps for the can :)

When it's going really bad and everything you try and do just makes it worse, walk away from the problem and come back to it tomorrow.

(I always seem to have my best ideas first thing in the morning in the shower).

-steve

• Like 3

Always make templates before committing to cutting the final part.

Cornflake packets work well, but for something bigger/more substantial,

balsa wood is a good alternative....

The final version of this plenum needs to withstand at least 35 PSI,

is made of T6 aluminium & is B***DY expensive..

The template is MK 4...

and this is where the 35 PSI comes from.....there's another one on the other side..

post-71-0-48745000-1396971703_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-95471400-1396971721_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-23275000-1396971768_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-81572700-1396971782_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-50134200-1396972323_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Tucker

read on here (sorry can't remember who said) but put glossy magazines under the wheels when adjusting the suspension as they allow a bit of slip when you come down off the jack or turn the wheels.

Will be trying that tomorrow....

Andi

Guest davidimurray

Wallpaper lining is great for making templates - stiff enough to draw on but at the same time flexible enough to wrap around panels.

Clear plastic sheet to make roof/surrey top templates.

You can cut it, stick it with duct tape, & see exactly where the roll bar or roof hoop are positioned.

It takes permanent marker, which can be removed with surgical spirit.

Not generally so relevant with hoods but when masking for painting use poly bin-bags rather than paper. You can wash them down to get rid of dust in between coats and sanding and they don't go all soggy and fall off if you get them wet whilst you are wet-sanding.

Plus they are cheap.

Never use washing up liquid to lubricate seals for fitting - it's not good for the rubber or metalwork as it's full of salt. Lanolin is the thing to use (or cheap hand cream which is lanolin plus perfumes).

Iain

• Like 1