Tips And Tricks Thread

Andi

Guest Gargoil

Want to paint your road wheels but haven't got the time/money/experience/tools to remove the tyres and find masking just too problematic on something as round as a wheel?

(that was a lot of setting up for a simple fix)

Paint the tyre with washing up liquid. Then paint the wheel. Don't forget to remove the washing up liquid before driving. Don't wash the dishes in your wheel.

Trying to find an air leak on an inlet manifold or part of the unduction system? WIth the engine running, get some carb cleaner or WD40, preferably sprayed in a diffused pattern, and spray it around areas of suspicion and listen for a change in engine note.

Trying to find where a bolt or stud aligns on a panel so you can drill a hole for it, but when in position the bolt is not visible or accessible in any way? Cover the tip of the bolt in tippex, paint, ink, etc., put it into position so it touches the panel, remove it and you've got a mark left on where to drill...

just used this one...put your suspension bushes in the freezer before fitting as they will shrink and be easier to fit.

found my new bushes were ~1mm bigger than the old ones and were tearing the edge when i tried to push them in. Took 0.5mm off on the lathe and then put them in the freezer which took them down to ~0.2mm off the old bush.

A smear of grease and they pushed in nice and tight. The cold also stiffens them so they can be pushed better.

One tip I remember is if you have to use a hammer to remove a bolt / threaded rod or such after removing the nut, replace the nut so it protects the thread when you hit it instead of mushrooming the bolt or TRE if you intend to re-use that part.

Simon.

I know it sounds obvious but if you are welding ,brazing etc always have something to put out the flames , extinguisher , bucket of water, wifes best coat etc :pardon:

Also when the fire brigade when checking smoke alarms ask what do you keep in your garage , the answer isn't oxy acetylene gear ,3 spare gals of petrol , a gallon of acetone and a couple of 25 litres of hydrogen peroxide that i must get round to taking back into work .

D

Edited by mr D

Hydrogen peroxide ? ! That's the stuff they used as an oxidiser for rocket fuel ... + acetylene.

Sounds like your garage needs to be in the next county, not just the next field ... :crazy: :rofl:

Simon.

I have returned the peroxide back to work , well it got as far as the works van,its sitting next to the 45% sulphuric acid and the liquid chlorine!!!!

& the acetylene is empty now . :rofl: The 2b is in there also

Edited by mr D

After working on the brakes always check that the pedel is firm BEFORE driving off, the sudden grab and prayer for the handbreak rubs this one in :shok:

When checking electrical problems remember that volts to the bulb does not equal to volts away from the bulb, always check the earths. :sorry:

Heat is your friend when checking for poor electrical wireing, the poor joint gets hot, smoke though is taking this to the limit.

If you find yourself with a burst header tank return hose and no way of joining the hose, remove the header tank, turn it round so the pipe when cut will reach and refix it with cable ties.

It worked to get Phil home after this happend on the M1 last week.it took 3 of use to come up with this tip, truth in the saying 3 heads are better than 1.

Kerry

post-3785-0-64228500-1397978619_thumb.jpg

When driving on the motorway for long distances (type of vehicle is not important) and you are nearing a service area, you will no doubt ask yourself if you need to stop to use the toilets. If in response to this your bladder say "no you'll be okay carry on" then beware!.... Having past the service area your bladder will then change its mind and suddenly declare itself full to bursting. This my prompt you to drive in excess of the legal speed limit in order to reach the next service area. Very naughty. :ph34r:

Dave.