Insurance Scam With My Tintop

johnlrichardson

I've changed to a new insurance company only to find the old one has automaticaly renewed my policy using my credit card details I gave them last year. I would have thought that this was theft or fraud

but when the policy was taken out last year (in the small print it gives them the right to renew automaticaly). Because I have accepted last years policy, I have given them the right to take whatever

they want from my credit card account which I cannot stop, unless I phone them well before expiry and say I don't want automatic renewal, My credit card company say I have given them permission to take it

by accepting last years policy They also say it is causing a lot of trouble as more insurance companies are doing it. The insurance tried to charge me £50 to cancel

HTH

jon

At least they believe your car to be registered! My insurance company are threatening to cancel my insurance as they can't see it on the DVLA database....despite having received my V5, tax disc and had the funds taken by the DVLA. Plus I found it on the DVLA enquiry checker, so looks legit to me!

• Like 1

insurance company did the same to me tried calling them couldn't get though so sent an email that they should have permission first before they take money from peoples credit cards because taking without permission is stealing they returned all money and I will not be using them again

Guest chrispine

I've had this as well, the insurers response was "if we hadn't renewed your insurance you'd be driving illegally", which I wasn't as I'd renewed and as I pointed out, that's my problem, so I always state very clearly I don't want auto renewal.

Chris

Guest old_timbo

My son had the same problem with Admiral. He had a right problem sorting it out as he was walkabout in Asia at the time. The last thing he needed was someone taking hundreds of pounds out of his bank account. To add insult to injury the renewal was much more expensive than the previous year despite having another years no claim. Guess the insurance companies are trying to stop you shopping around - something you have to do every year with every type of insurance.

Unfortunately I think this will become a bit more of the norm going forwards. Due to the aggregator web sites (Confused, Go Compare etc) all the insurers have to fight for business based on price and it actually means they often lose money taking the new business case on to the books (insurers have to pay a fee to the aggregator for the introduction). The only way to make some money back is by trying to sell add on products, like legal cover, and by getting the renewal, as no fee is payable on the renewal.

I am not trying to excuse the practice, just trying to put some perspective on why the insurers are doing it.

Its still stealing, if they want that much money. A quick courtesy call before renewal to remind might actually help then retain the business for another year. When they take money from your account with you authorizing it, you will only get angry and go elsewhere. Happened on my travel insurance i gave them a good telling off and set visa on them

Guest onelj

I'm not sure why you think it's a scam. Company's always send a renewal reminder through telling you how much the premium will be if they do automatic renewal it always states that it will automatically renew if you don't contact them.

Maybe not very good but if you read the renewal properly it wouldn't happen.

My insurance company did not send renewal terms, which they are supposed to do 28 days prior to expiry. I was going on holiday and could not wait till the last minute, I shopped around, as we are all advised to do, found a good quote and accepted it. When taking out a policy some companies ask if you want auto renewal, my insurance company did not, so they had no right to take it. This is probably why they agreed to a refund. Bit suprised someone can half condone this practice.

jon