Insurance

Guest preeday

My turn to renew, aplan wanted £150 tried flux £213 and a few others at up to £260. Didn't try pickles after they wanted £396 to insure my atomic at renewal 2yrs ago.

I was annoyed a little at £150 so let it lapse. rang up yesterday made a few minor changes then they come back with a different underwriter at £138 all in. Hrs of quotes and calls could have been avoided if they had done this in the 1st place.

Every yr it's the same ring around on insurance, kit and tintop ....

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking into insurance had an initial quote from flux around the £300 mark. 4k miles, garaged. I'm 27 and have 9 years no claims not used on another car as I have a recent work insured car.

How do you go about the modifications question obviously it's a kit car so what needs to be stated?

Breakdown cover... I have been told some companies don't cover cars over 12 years even though they'll let you take out a policy with them.

How do you go about the modifications question obviously it's a kit car so what needs to be stated?

I have never stated what are "modifications".

but I always tell them in detail what is fitted to the car, ie a Vauxhall redtop, not the original Pinto,

twin 45 carbs, modified head & camshaft, uprated brakes, & alloy wheels.

They (A-Plan at the moment) have never been fazed by any of it,& the premium has never been raised because of them.

It's always a grey area on kits, the best thing I can suggest is to make your insurers aware, too much information is better than too little. As Bob Tucker says above, the bulk of major modifications is the main thing, engine, running gear etc. They usually have little to no impact on the rate, but to make sure you are covered correctly.

Thanks

Dan

Osbournes and sons have been my insurer for 7 years. Normally try it on with renewal cost but i argue them back down each year. Never had a problem with them although haven't ever needed to claim.

Mines a little more expensive as i have my 2b insured as my only car and most underwriters won't do that apparently. Think i dropped to 3k per year limit fully comp for £165. might look at parts only this year but can't decide.

Guest mower man

IMHO it depends on what youhave spent ,I have used it but have gone back to normal ins because of needing recovery service after a change of tin top [new car came with cover ] it was saving me approx £50/60 a year and would have done my own repairs any way, if you have big money on the car and want repairs to be done you need to pay the premium my ops only mowerman