2.0 Pinto Radiator

Guest m3wood

Guest m3wood

Hi guys

What radiator have you guys fitted and where abouts for your 2.0 pinto lumps. And have you had any problems ? As my radiator is mounted right down the nose cone and is too small and is useless ?

Regards Matt

It's not just about the rad, it's about getting as much of the air that passes through the nosecone to flow through the rad rather than around the sides.

Like Steamer, I use the coolman Cortina rad but I've got it ducted around all 4 sides to force the air that enters the nosecone through the rad core.

and just to add.......not having enough hot air exiting the engine bay can lead to cooling issues as well......

Think of it in simle terms;

cold air into the nosecone.....get as much of it through the rad.....and then get the hot air from the back of the rad out of the engine bay as quickly as possible......the faster this air flow.....the better cooling performance.

The V8 engine I've got fitted now is running a cortina rad albeit twice as deep as a standard cortina rad

Steamer your ad is known as a Coolman

There were several sold by Robin Hood early one had 32 twin cores latest GBS version has 27 I bought one from Boston radiators 42 core and cools to much for standard pinto but I have other more powerful engines nearly ready

Also have oil cooler, 82 degree thermostat and bonnet wedged at the rear

Guest Gargoil

Cortina rad from the 2.3 engine, fitted in the engine bay between engine and cross member. Echo the sentiments above, get the air ducted through the radiator. I assume that from the location of yours Matt that you already have an electric fan.

What issues are you having with yours?

I have seen radiators in the same position as yours and they were going hill climbing, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Guest m3wood

Fan need to be on pretty much all the time and the engine temperature does get up a bit when giving it a bit of stick :/ ..... And yes it is a electric fan.

Guest Gargoil

Providing you dont have any other faults (air locks, slipping fan belt etc) it does sound like you might need a better radiator. The small alloy VW polo rad seems to be a popular choice if you want to keep it in the nosecone.

Guest Knownothing

I noticed at Stoneleigh most if not all bonnets were vented. Did they come like that with the kit or did people get the panels pressed? Our bonnet panels had/have no vents in. At the minute engine temp is fine on the move although the footwell gets warm. However, when the engine is idling things start to get hot. I am sure vents on the top would solve the problem. Would a metal fabricators put vents in if i took the bonnet apart and gave it to them?

Think you would be very lucky to find a metal fab shop to press louvers into a shaped panel. Fubarred Florin's first bonnet & had to get louvers pressed in flat panel & then shape it to fit --- tricky/sweaty moments.

Guest Gargoil

You Say polo radiator which model ? And what litre model ?

I couldn't really say, Matt. This is something I have come across while attending the overheating problems I have had myself.

It also depends on where you want to site the radiator as to which radiator you use, sorry there is no definative answer.

I can get a couple of photos of my own setup, but it is quite different to yours in respect of location and type of radiator but does fit in an Exmo.

Shark gill louvres in the sides seem to help quite a bit & relatively easy to fit...just a bit nerve wracking cutting out the rectangle....

Try a ships chandlers for SS ones

http://www.piratescave.co.uk/6-louver-stainless-steel-12-34-x-4-12-x-1.ir?cName=care-maintenance-vents-fans-louver-locker-vents